wrath

Mitty whistled a melodic tune as he wandered idly around the store. He was just wasting time at this point but he couldn't find the energy to do anything different.

"You're going to get dizzy going round in circles like that all night" Mary smirked.

Mitty felt himself smile at her words, he hadn't seen much of Mary these past few months since being acquainted with Angel and he had truly missed her presence and her willingness to throw playful banter at him.

"Would you rather I go away?" He replied finally placing his items on the counter.

"You know I always wanna see that pretty face" She winked before starting to scan the items.

His eyes darted around the counter taking in anything interesting but there was nothing out of the ordinary; the usual promotional candy, a few magazines and some cheap keychains with LA imagery printed on them.

He noticed Mary was being slower than usual and normally he put it down to her old age but this was different. His eyes fell on several plasters and bruises on her hand and arms.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Nothing" She mumbled.

Mitty merely raised his eyebrows indicating her response was less than believable as she let out a small sigh of defeat.

"It was just my stupid ex again, he came to my house drunk it's no big deal" Mary explained.

"You're ex is a piece of shit" Mitty responded "And it's very much so a big deal"

"He's done it before it's-"

"Which only makes it worse" Mitty added.

Mary looked down and avoided his gaze as she continued to scan the items. He felt a sadness for her, something he seldom let himself feel.

There's misconception in that the devil is a heartless monster incapable of emotion. It's quite the opposite situation, he feels too much; too many to handle so it too often blurs into one fit of rage and destruction.

He isn't a selfish being and he doesn't like to see just anybody get hurt; just the ones who deserve it. And Mary definitely didn't deserve any pain inflicted on her and especially not from lowlife drunks with nothing better to do.

"Does he still live over a few blocks?" Mitty enquired.

"You're not going to do anything" She warned him.

He had already gathered by now that Mary was not a woman to play damsel in distress and very much so liked to fight her own battles but that didn't mean he couldn't lend out a small helping hand to serve some well deserved justice.

Mitty threw his hands up in mock defence before paying for his goods and sending her a goodbye which she warmly reciprocated before he exited the door, the bell ringing behind him.

He stepped out onto the streets of the city and he observed the people around him as he made a slight detour before heading to get Angel.

Once he arrived at the familiar road he looked up at the house before him. It was a run down area and the houses were barely holding together; various things were falling apart with less than sturdy attempts to fix them.

There was no one around and not that he expected there to be; not at this time in the evening. He walked up and peered inside in a small attempt to be discrete and sure enough he seen the man passed out in front of the television with a bottle loosely wrapped in his fingers as he lay on the couch.

He went round the side of the house to where there was a small shed that was carelessly left unlocked and grabbed what he needed. He checked the back door and sure enough it was also unlocked and he almost grinned at how easy he was making it for him.