humility

Mitty shut the door letting out an audible sigh of frustration as he yet again, bid farewell to another faceless girl. It was his go-to method of coping and yet it had proven ineffective on every level.

He couldn't understand it, it had been weeks and yet he couldn't get Angel out his mind. It was beyond frustrating and left him tired all the time, unable to sleep because his mind tauntingly replayed moments he had shared with Angel before he left.

He had tried to distract himself, so hard that it was almost a chore. He drank whatever he want, partied wherever he wanted and slept with whoever was willing but yet he felt nothing. The girls never left any impacting effect on him, most of the time he could barely remember their name and he never ever let them stay the night.

He checked the time on the clock seeing it read 1am. He already knew he was in for a restless sleep, if he could catch any at all. He was never particularly fond of sleeping to begin with but now he was physically unable, he craved it all the more.

He almost wished he had allowed the girl to stay longer and entertain him for just a little bit more but he simply couldn't handle her annoying voice for one more second.

His mind wandered to that last night with Angel and how it felt to hold her hips as she slowly moved on top of him. His hands tingled as his eyes were screwed shut, almost as if they were ghosting over her skin. He thought that if he imagined it hard enough, maybe she would appear and maybe he could hold her close to him once more.

Alas, he knew it was all wishful thinking and he had only brought this upon himself. He wished it didn't have to be this way but it did, this was his lifestyle. He had to move on and he was already feeling annoyed at himself for not finding someone new by now.

He opened his eyes again seeing the harsh street light streaming into the room. He could hear music from a few doors down where they always seemed to have parties. It never used to bother him before.

Angel's apartment was quiet, it was calm. It let him think freely without distraction and in times like this he deeply missed it.

He got up and headed for the fridge  and was left disappointed at the sight of the empty shelves. He had neglected to stock it or any cupboards with any decent food or drink and he cursed himself for not picking up anything during the day.

He knew there was one place he could count on and so he reluctantly threw on a pair of shoes before grabbing his keys and heading out the door. Despite it being so late, or rather so early; it was fairly busy around the streets. People heading out and some roughly heading home, he didn't feel uneasy just bored.

The familiar bell rings above him as he entered the store, the bright fluorescent lights making him squint his eyes to adjust before wandering down the aisles.

He could feel Mary observing him as he walked around picking up items, almost examining him in a way and he knew she was going to question him when he went to pay.

She had noticed a shift in him, he was always playful and she knew he wasn't innocent, far from it. But she knew something was wrong, something was bothering him and she had witnessed him come and go from the store trailing in various girls while he was buzzed off whatever he could find.

She had no relation to him yet she felt a need to take on a maternal role, he had always been kind to her and taken an interest in her stories she would tell and she didn't like seeing him look so lost and unhappy, she could see it in his eyes he was sad even if he didn't want to admit so.

"Is this all?" She asked ringing up the last item.

He nodded his head avoiding words incase they invited conversation. He could feel her disapproval and it was something he didn't enjoy. His eyes had bags and were bloodshot from all the weed he had smoked earlier, his hair was a mess and so was his outfit. In every aspect of his external look; he was rough.