epilogue.

╔═══════════════╗

╚═══════════════╝

╚═══════════════╝

epilogue.

jody

"let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow."

Dear Jody,

Dear Jody,

I haven't written a letter in a long time. In fact, the last letter I wrote was to your mother. Yes, while I may be the one you call 'Mommy,' I am not your blood. Someday you will learn that, and I guess that someday will be the day you read this. I promised myself I would explain to you when you were old enough, knew that it's what they would have wanted, but I've never been good with articulating my thoughts, memories, etc. and it's easier to get it all down on paper. In one place. Keep it all organized. Because there is a lot you should know.

I guess I should start with the basics.

Your mother's name was Eleanor. While it had taken a long time for us to finally speak, our friendship proceeded rapidly afterwards. She became my lone confidant, one of the few people I could speak to. I had always admired her. She was humble about her strength, ashamed of her weaknesses. But the thing was, her weaknesses were what made her human. And when I found out about you, that she wanted to keep you, I had mixed emotions. A part of me hated you for endangering her and a strange part of me wanted to be her, was jealous. To experience something I thought I'd never get the privilege of. To be loved and love someone back and have a family with them which is what she was going to get, if everything went right. But still, such a risk could easily end in disaster. I believe, scratch that, I know the only reason she decided to go through with it all was because she loved your father.

Your father's name was Carl. Truth be told, I thought he was a gigantic idiotic asshole. But that's because I didn't really know him. Actually, I didn't get to know him until after he had died. Eleanor confirmed to me that at first glance she, too, had perceived him as a gigantic idiotic asshole but through trial and error, she came to find he had a side that only she would ever really get to know. In the stories she told, he redeemed himself in my opinion. From his honesty, to his attempts at humoring her through his own pain, to loving her despite her denial of feelings. She never wanted to love him. She thought it would make her feeble. But as she broke down his walls, he broke down the ones she had unknowingly built in returned. They softened each other.