three. lack of color

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐢𝐬

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐢𝐬

𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚘𝚏 𝚌𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚛

╚═══════════════╝

H E R

I slammed the book shut and threw it onto the white canvas of the light blanket resting beside me on my bunk. I ran my nail bitten fingers through my hair, catching all the knots and leaving the bedraggled curls to rest.

Letting out a breath from between my teeth, I hauled my body, heavy with tire, to its feet. I had not slept well lately. My midnight encounter with Carl might have been the culprit.

God, did it leave some kind of strange affect on me.

While the conversation had been a total disaster in my opinion, my optimistic self was hopeful I could redeem myself. But at the same time, I wanted to leave it be; not lead myself to further embarrassment and call it quits on any more Carl Grimes communication attempts. It was not worth losing my dignity over. Then again, my curiosity got the better of me.

I stayed up, wondering if I should venture onto the veranda in hopes of maybe seeing him. And eventually I did, but he was never there. Either he started going at different times or stopped going completely.

The latter made sense, considering he never made an appearance at meals after that.

He had a funny way of making himself disappear.

So after a Carl-less breakfast, I made my way outside. Feeling slightly free, no weight on my shoulders knowing Carl was in his cell, moping, and I wouldn't be running into him.

I couldn't place my feelings about the boy. He left me utterly confused yet somehow wanting more, like one of those mystery series I used to read. Except with a book, you can skip to the end and get your answers. But with this Carl Grimes man-boy-thing, all I got was that sharp stare that hid a tangled cobweb of his background. Who was he? What was he? He moved and talked with such sharp precision it's like he was hardly human. Some kind of child-weapon.