four. universal shift

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐫𝐞

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐫𝐞

𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚊𝚕 𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚏𝚝

╚═══════════════╝

H E R

As I stepped onto the veranda, the sun looming in the horizon, casting a golden hue across the courtyard where Beth sat, her eyes alight with warmth as she watched over the children's spirited game of tag. Their laughter bubbled up like a sweet melody, filling the air with a contagious joy that seemed to momentarily drown out the distant moans of Walkers beyond the protective fences. Settling onto the steps beside her, I couldn't help but be swept up in the infectious energy of the moment, a fleeting respite from the harsh realities lurking just beyond our sanctuary.

"How are you doing, Eleanor?" Beth smiled at me, her face lighting up in that cheerful way of hers. Beth had a way of making you feel like you were the most interesting person that she was always excited to see. It was a confidence booster for sure, considering the fact she was one of the most perfect, beautiful people and she gave me the time of day.

"I'm okay, just finished doing some canning with Carol and Karen. What about you?"

She reclined gracefully, her slender form bathed in the gentle embrace of sunlight. As she tilted her head back, the heated rays danced upon her delicate features, illuminating her radiant countenance with a celestial glow. "Pretty good. Did you see the deer that Daryl brought in?"

I nodded. "I hope we have stew tonight."

"Oh, we better." Beth laughed, sounding like a joyous bell. "It'll be like Thanksgiving."

"If only we could finish off with apple pie for dessert." I joined in her jest.

The girl rested a hand over her taut stomach, as though testing the size. "I think I could use a couple pounds of ice cream. You could, too."

"They'll have to roll us out of the cafeteria." I added. Beth was good at getting my mind off things. Even if it meant just talking about food that was not possible for us to get our hands on. "I swear to God, one more bowl of oatmeal and I'll lose my mind."