CHAPTER 5

After paying ransom to the parking lot attendant, Mike walked eight blocks to The Dominion Club, a men's business and social organization with members among Canada's most important business leaders. Their building was a venerable old stone structure on University Avenue, near the heart of Toronto's financial district. To honor the visit from President Kennedy and his wife, numerous Canadian and United States' flags adorned the front wall of the building. Police were everywhere. A large contingent of Royal Canadian Mounted Police was positioned at both sides of the entrance to the building, each guard dressed in the red tunic and broad-brimmed hats of antiquity.

Mike met Paul Sanderson, Paul's wife, Florence, and Barbara Larkin outside the opened front doors. Mike realized that Sanderson's assessment had been very accurate—he was not at all disappointed with Barbara Larkin. She was beautiful, tall, and slender with long, flowing blond hair and intoxicating blue eyes. She wore a tight, black satin evening dress with a very low cut neckline. Three elegant strands of small white pearls adorned her lightly freckled neck.

The four entered the building and proceeded directly to the Dominion Club's ballroom, where the cocktail party was already well advanced. Mike scanned the room for the Kennedys, and then turned to Barbara. "Would you like a drink?" he asked.

"Sure. White wine, please."

Minutes later, Mike returned from the bar with wine for Barbara and scotch for himself. "It was courageous of you to accept a blind date," he said, handing her the wine and trying avidly not to stare at her perfectly proportioned breasts.

"Thank you," Barbara said with a smile. "Although it wasn't the slightest bit courageous."

"Why?"

"Well, Paul told me the Kennedys would be here."

"Oh," Mike said, trying hard to remember that he had approached the night in much the same way.

Barbara winked, showing a wry smile. "I hoped for the best."

Mike changed the subject. "Does Jack Kennedy appeal to you as a man, or a politician?"

"Both," Barbara replied. She leaned toward Mike and kissed him on the cheek. "You appeal to me far more than Jack Kennedy." She smirked as she watched him struggle for an appropriate response, and then grasped his hand. "I think we should join Paul and Florence. Everyone's moving to the tables. We can continue this conversation later on."

"I can't wait," Mike replied.

Everyone stood and clapped as a kilt clad bagpiper led the Kennedys to their seats at the head table. The audience remained standing as a band, consisting of twenty members of the armed forces of both countries, played "The Star Spangled Banner," followed by "O Canada."

After being introduced by Peter Carie, America's Ambassador to Canada, John Kennedy spoke of the wonderful history of peace and friendship that had existed between Canada and the United States for well over a century, of how the two countries shared a common boundary over five thousand miles and, in addition, a common heritage. Mike listened in sadness when Kennedy spoke of the growing violence of terrorist activity around the world and the need to be on guard and to strive to suppress it. Kennedy concluded his speech by showing the audience a book given to him by Lester Pearson, Prime Minister of Canada. "Between Friends is an extremely thoughtful and appropriate title. I shall treasure it forever," he declared, and then displayed the irresistible Kennedy smile. "Jackie and I wish to thank you all, and indeed all Canadians, for your warm hospitality, and for the opportunity to visit your wonderful country."

The audience responded with a loud, standing ovation.

Later that night, Mike and Barbara stalled in Mike's car as it idled in front of Barbara's Spadina Avenue home, a three bedroom apartment she shared with two other girls. While blissfully oblivious to the passing of time, Mike struggled to suppress his re-stimulated hormones. Their conversation covered a wide range of topics, including Karen. He told her the whole story, and then how it ended.

"I'm so sorry...you obviously loved her very much," Barbara said, her blue eyes displaying unalloyed sympathy.

Mike nodded, intoxicated by her eyes. "I did, but that was in the past.... I have to go on."

Barbara glanced at her watch. "I can't believe it," she said, shaking her head. "It's twelve-thirty."

"Is there something significant about that time?" Mike asked, disappointed that his surprisingly enjoyable evening was about to end.

"I have to work tomorrow."

"Oh? What do you do for work?"

"My father's in the construction business and my job is to help him stay in it."

"Then I guess the party's over," he said with downcast eyes.

Barbara looked into Mike's eyes and grasped his hand. "I want to see you again, Mike."

"You will, very soon," he promised, and then kissed her for the first time. She did not resist.

Mike and Barbara did see one another again, very soon, and often. He became very fond of her, but it was impossible for him to think of his feelings for her in terms of love. Perhaps it was love, but it was certainly not what he remembered feeling with Karen. The intensity of that lost love was engraved in his heart, and no one else would ever quite fit.

Still, he came to care for Barbara, and she seemed like a perfect choice. Fiercely denying recurrent worries that he was acting on the rebound, Mike married Barbara in the chapel at Knox College at the University of Toronto. The ceremony was held on a cool, cloudy day in May of 1964. Only Mike and Barbara's parents and Paul and Florence Sanderson attended.

After a weekend honeymoon on Mackinac Island in Michigan, the happy couple hurried back to Toronto and their tiny one bedroom apartment on St. George Street. Mike resumed his summer job at Molson's Brewery and Barbara returned to work in her father's company.