CHAPTER 71

Karen and Phillip entered Mike's room in the Clinica El Avila in Altamira later that afternoon. They found Mike sitting up in bed and staring out the window. He turned his head to face his visitors. "Come over here, you guys," he ordered, a giant smile adorning his bandaged and bruised face.

Karen hurried to him and hugged him as hard as she dared. "How are you, Tiger?" she asked.

"I hurt like hell, but I'm alive."

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you, too," Mike said, and then turned to Phillip. "How are you, Phillip. Are you okay?"

"He's fine," Karen replied before Phillip opened his mouth. "I told him the whole story. He knows the truth about his father."

Mike's blue eyes widened. "Where is he?"

Karen nodded. "He's dead. The Caracas police confirmed it this afternoon."

"But how? What happened? I can't remember a thing after your sweetheart husband kicked me in the head...."

"Marty Piniero saved our lives," Karen said. She told Mike the rest of the incredible story.

Mike closed his eyes. "Incredible! A miracle! I thought it was the end of the road." Mike reached for Phillip's hand, drew him closer, and hugged him. "You're a very brave young man...I'm so sorry you've lost your father."

"I'm not sorry," Phillip said. "He lied to me about everything...." He looked up to his mother, and she placed a hand on his shoulder. "How long do you have to stay in the hospital?"

Mike pointed to a pair of wooden crutches leaning against the wall beside his bed. "I can leave right now, but I have to use those."

Karen stared at the crutches and frowned.

Mike recognized the frown immediately. "Something's wrong, babe. What is it?"

Giant tears appeared in her beautiful brown eyes. "I told you it was over, but it really isn't."

"Why?"

"We can't go home. We still don't have one shred of the evidence we need. Now Jim's dead and so is everyone connected to him."

"Who cares? We can stay here and make a new life for ourselves. I could live anywhere with you," Mike said.

His words comforted Karen, but her tears continued. "But we can't live on love. When our cash is gone, we're broke."

"I have some money," Phillip said.

Mike and Karen stared at Phillip in disbelief. "Is that so?" Mike asked, struggling to postpone a doubting grin.

"Over three hundred million dollars. Dad took me to see a man who runs a bank in Caracas. The man told me he looks after my father's money, and that I should go to him if anything ever happened to Daddy."

Mike and Karen exchanged a wide-eyed glance as Phillip removed Alfred Schnieder's business card from his wallet and handed it to Mike.

"This is it!" Mike exclaimed, staring at the card. "This man holds the keys to all the money your husband's been stealing. You're a very wealthy woman, Karen."

Karen frowned and shook her head. "That money doesn't belong to me. If we ever tried to spend it, we'd be in a hell of a lot more trouble than we already are."

Mike gritted his teeth and clenched both fists, suppressing his frustration. Why couldn't she let it go? They could start a whole new life together, and all she could think about was the criminal charges back home! "We can talk about that later..., But where's Marty Piniero? Did he make it?"

Karen nodded. "He's one floor below us."

"I'd like to go see him.... Can you guys help me get out of this bed?"

Piniero's neck and shoulder were heavily bandaged. He was awake, but unable to speak.

Mike hobbled to the edge of his bed, which was one of many in a very large ward. "Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Marty," he said. "We owe you our lives."

Piniero managed a weak smile as he grasped Mike's hand.

Phillip ran to the bedside and tugged at Mike's arm. He continued to tug until Mike leaned down close. Mike chuckled while Phillip whispered, and then turned to face Piniero. "As an expression of his gratitude for what you've done, Phillip would like you to have his father's house, his car, his airplane, and enough money to ensure that you never have to work for the rest of your life.... Oh, and—by the way—I don't think you'll need your Cadillac anymore."

A huge smile spread across Piniero's rugged face as he slowly closed his eyes.