CHAPTER 53

Alex McDowell flew to Washington to speak to a Congressional sub-committee on the subject of gasoline tax evasion, which had been proven to be rampant in both Canada and the United States. Revenue losses to both governments from that source had reached intolerable levels—levels high enough to induce politicians to ask embarrassing questions.

After the hearing, John Hill invited McDowell to lunch. Once again they sat at The Garden in Georgetown. McDowell sipped his coffee and looked across the table at his friend. "I have some extremely good news, John. We've arrested both Mike King and Jim Servito's wife," he declared, expanding his chest with obvious pride.

"That's great," Hill replied with little apparent enthusiasm. "What are the charges?"

"We charged King with unlawful possession and sale of a stolen substance, and unlawful disposal of a toxic substance. Karen Servito was charged with theft and sale of stolen gasoline and unlawful transportation of a stolen substance across an international boundary. I should add that my bosses still don't have this news. I was in Washington at the time of the arrests. I want to tell them in person. I'm not going to let anyone else grab the credit for this one."

"When you made the arrests, did gasoline tax evasion fall within the realm of your consideration?" Hill asked.

The proud smirk on McDowell's face vanished. "No."

"Then you still don't have a damn thing on the big fish?"

McDowell's face flushed to crimson.

"You mean Jim Servito?"

"Yup," Hill said, cognizant of the fact that he had hit a very sensitive note.

"Uh, no...we're still working on it."

"Well, at least you put some heads on the platter."

McDowell elected not to respond.