CHAPTER 52

Karen opened her eyes early. She would have slept longer, were it not for the warmth of the morning sun on her face, or the smell of breakfast and Mike's gentle kiss on her lips. She closed her eyes again, pretending to sleep.

When Mike bent to kiss her again, she locked her arms around his neck and pulled him to the bed. "I missed you this morning, Tiger," she said as she reached between his legs.

The two made slow, deliberate, passionate love, forgetting their problems during the brief but ecstatic interlude. Afterwards, they sat on the edge of the bed and ate a breakfast of orange juice, eggs Benedict, and coffee, all affectionately prepared by Mike.

Karen sipped her coffee, frowning at Mike over the brim of her cup. "I have a suggestion."

Mike displayed a naughty grin. "Is it that we make love again?"

"Yes, but that isn't what I had in mind...I think we should go and see Bob Bushing and Dave Lasker."

Mike glared at her and raised his hands in exasperation. "So again we postpone our happiness."

"We've waited a long time to live together. We can wait another day."

"There's always something in the way, isn't there?"

Karen smiled. "Maybe that's our destiny."

"If we ever get this mess behind us, I'm going to get a lawyer and ask him to draw up new wills for both of us. I want it explicitly stipulated that you and I are to be buried in the same casket."

"You have such a morbid sense of humor," Karen scolded, then hugged Mike and kissed his ear. "You still haven't said whether you agree...."

"Sure. Let's go to Buffalo."

"Good. I'll call Martha." Karen dialed the telephone number of the penthouse.

"Hi, Martha. It's Karen. Did you take Phillip to school already?"

"No...your husband arrived here shortly after eight this morning. He took Phillip to school. I assumed you knew."

Karen's heart pounded. Instinctively, she knew something was wrong. Her husband had not driven Phillip to school in years. "Did Jim ask you where I was?"

"Yes. I told him you stayed at the hospital last night."

"Thanks, Martha. I'll talk to you soon," Karen said. She hung up and dialed the office number of Royal Canada College.

A female answered.

"This is Karen Servito calling. I want to confirm that my son, Phillip, made it to school this morning."

"One moment please. I'll check with Phillip's counselor. Please hold."

Karen prayed her instinct was wrong. Her uncontrolled trembling made every second an eternity.

"This is Whitney Stewart speaking, Mrs. Servito," Phillip's counselor said. "Your son is not in class this morning. I took the time to talk to his classmates when I was informed of your call. None of them has seen him today."

"Did Phillip's father call the school?"

"I took the time to check that too. We have no record of his call."

"Thank you. Would you please have someone call my home the minute Phillip shows up?" Karen said, sickened at the certainty that he would not. Her face had lost all color and tears streamed from her eyes.

"Now he's taken Phillip," she said, covering her face with her hands.

Mike's mind raced through a checklist of possibilities. "Do you have any idea where he would have taken him?" he asked.

"They could have gone to the farm."

"Why would they do that?"

"Just a guess. Phillip loves to go there."

"I think we should forget about Buffalo and go to the farm."

"What if I'm wrong?"

"Can you think of a better idea?"

"Maybe we should call the police."

Mike chuckled. "Sure we should. Can you imagine how cooperative they'll be when they get a call from a couple of suspected felons? Besides, your husband is Phillip's father. His only transgression was to sanction his son's truancy."