CHAPTER 16

Mike's success at International Fuel Brokers was immediate and spectacular. He took to Owen Christian's game like a duck to water. Much of Mike's success was due to his credibility and infectious personality. He was believable, extremely persuasive, and blessed with the ability to communicate.

Before he had finished his first full year, he had been instrumental in IFB's acquisition of a fifty percent interest in no less than seventeen fuel oil companies. The jewel of the acquisitions was Seaway Petroleum Limited, a medium-sized fuel oil dealer with terminals in strategic markets in both Canada and the United States. Seaway had long been a target of IFB, but only Mike had been able to reel them in.

In early December of 1968, Christian threw a lavish staff cocktail party. Once the initial rush had dimmed and everyone had a drink in hand, Christian clinked a fork against his glass. "Could I have everyone's attention, please?" he shouted. He waited for complete silence before pointing to Mike. "Please join me here, Mike," he said, summoning him with his index finger.

Christian placed his left arm around Mike's shoulders and raised his glass with his right. "I want you all to know that I have my arm around the best thing that's happened to IFB in years. As you all know, this is Mike King. He has taken this company by storm. His contribution has been of legendary proportions." He stared boldly around the room, daring anyone to disagree. "Effective immediately, I am promoting Mike to the title of Vice-President, Acquisitions." He turned to Mike and smiled. "Congratulations, son. Well done." He shook Mike's hand to the shouts, whistles, and warm applause of the entire staff. "I think you should say a few words."

"Thank you, Owen," Mike said. His mind reeled with shock as he turned to face the staff. "Thanks to all of you. Thank you for your kind applause, and for the enormous cooperation you have all given me from the beginning. Without it, I could have achieved nothing. I appreciate your support from the bottom of my heart, and will cherish it for so long as I'm alive." He smiled and raised his glass to loud applause.

Before Mike could step back into the crowd, Christian leaned close to Mike's ear. "I want to see you when this is over."

An hour later, Christian closed the door behind the last guest and turned to Mike. "I won't keep you long, Mike. I just wanted to clarify something with you, eyeball to eyeball. Of course, I want to congratulate you for your well-deserved promotion and the large salary increase accompanying it. However, I have to put a string on it."

"What's that?" Mike asked.

"I want your business card to remain unchanged." Christian's expression turned hard, his eyes like rocks. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You'll be my wolf in sheep's clothing."