CHAPTER 73

Mike telephoned Dan Turner's Toronto office from Servito's mansion, and Turner's secretary received the call.

"May I speak to Dan Turner, please?"

"May I tell him who's calling?"

"Mike King. I'm calling from Caracas."

"One moment, Mr. King.

"Is this my most itinerant client?" Turner's deep, authoritative voice asked.

"It is and you won't believe what's happened here."

"Sure I would. After what's happened here in the last twenty-four hours, I would believe anything."

"What's happened there?"

"You talk first. It's your nickel," Turner insisted.

"Okay. You want the good news or the bad news?"

"The good news."

"We have Phillip and Jim Servito is dead."

"That's incredible. Tell me how it happened."

"It's a long and wild story. I'll tell you after you tell me what's happened at your end."

"First tell me if you found Servito's money."

"That's the bad news. We haven't found the money or one shred of the evidence we need to clear ourselves. We can't come home, Dan."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Dan said. He could hear the silence of Mike's held breath. "Make sure your seat belt's fastened for this one...all of the charges against you and Karen have been dropped."

"What!"

"Believe it or not, I received a call from a lawyer acting for the feds shortly after you left the country. He told me Jerry Allison lived long enough to confess. Apparently, he sang like a bird. You'll be pleased to know that you were right about Servito. He did a wonderful job of setting you and Karen up. I could tell you a lot more, but I'll do that when you return. You're both free to do that now."

"I can't thank you enough, Dan. See you soon." Mike hurled the telephone receiver into the air, and then hobbled to hold the only woman he had ever loved. "Now it's really over, babe," he said, and told her Turner's incredible news.

Overwhelmed with joy, she smiled into his deep blue eyes. "No, Tiger. It's just beginning."

END