c h a p t e r f i v e

- L e i -

What the heck-

I don't want to tutor anyone! I have exams coming up in a few weeks!
But- it would be a realy good deed to help him. Y'know, working for all that good karma?

I sighed and then looked up at him.
"I mean, sure?"

He sighed and a smile erupted on his face.
"Thanks Lei. Really-"

"But remeber I've never tutored anyone before!"

"It's fine, if you can end up in Class A, you can do anything. So, shall we begin?"

Hold up-
"Now?!!" i took a step back and ended up slamming my back agaist the doorway.

"I mean, the earlier the better! We don't have any classes right now and i already have all material in my backpack so.." he trailed away, rubbing his hands together as he blinked expectantly at me.

"I mean s-sure? But I really need to let Alli know."
Honestly? Anything to delay the series of alone time I have to spend with Camden was all i could think of.

"You have a phone, so use it."

At this point he was dragging me away from the cafeteria- where my extrovert best friend was currently rubbing elbows with all the popular kids who spend our mid-day 1 hour free time in that said cafeteria - and down the hall.

I was in quiet shambles.
"Where the heck are we going? I don't have any of m-my materials!" I stuttered out as we took a turn and began to bulldoze past our curious school mates.

"The library." he put simply and patted my crammed backpack. Leaning down to my ear he whispered. "Nice lies Adeyemi."

"Crud."

• • •

It's been 20 minutes. 20 minutes and i regret ever agreeing to this. Free time ends in ANOTHER 30 minutes. Someone please kidnap me.

I'm aware of the fact that some girls would worship the floor this dude walks on, but for me, a proud Ravenclaw and a self proclaimed genius, I can't take it anymore.

"Okay, Cam." I said, rubbing the space between my eyebrows. It's a nervous habit! "Let's go over equation 16 again. What was your answer?"

There was absolutely no space between his eyebrows as they were knitted together in frustration as he stared down at his notebook as he scribbled down his rushed calculations.

"Huh. Well.. I got minus 2."

My jaw dropped. God grant me patience.

"Did you carry the two over the equals to sign?" I asked,  peering over from my work over to his.

"Of course I did!" he snapped back at me.

"Well dang, wa je mi o. You realise that.. that was initially minus 2, right?"

..silence.

Shaking my head slightly, I went on.
"Well.. when you carry it over it turns to-"

"plus 2." we muttered at the same time as he quickly changed his answer.

I nodded and looked through a few more questions in my laptop. 24 minutes left. And we've only gone through 16 simple algebra questions.

I shut my laptop and looked back up at Camden, who looked crushed as he rested his head on his hand and picked at the fraying edges of the wooden library tables.

I reached into my bag and brought out a candy bar and offered it to him.
He glanced at it and shook his head. "I haven't had sugar since I was 6. "

"O-kay then. " i awkwardly opened it and took a bute out of it myself. You snooze you lose.

"So, question 17 is if x varies indirectly with-"

He slammed his fist on the table, making my jump. Lord, if I dropped my KitKat.

"I don't want to do math anymore." he snapped..again.

"Good Lord, but you got.." i lowered my voice. "A D minus, Camden. The only grades lower than that were your sciences and art." ..Fs.

"Well it's not my fault I don't get it!" he said, raising his voice.

"Don't hecking shout at me! We're at a library." I shot a sideways glance at the unimpressed librarian who was hovering around our area. "You proposed this whole tutoring things, so you have no right to scream at me."

I got up and picked up my laptop and notebooks, ready to leave and spend the 15 minutes left of my free time on the bleachers before I have to go for my art class.

He stood up as well, towering over me once again and grabbed my arm.
"Hey."

I looked up at him, and I honestly wanted to smack him in the head with a slipper.

"What?" I deadpanned. "I have a Ziploc of carrot sticks and a The Little Prince audio book waiting for me, so hurry up."

He looked at his watch and looked back up at me.
"We have 10 minutes. Let me buy you a bag of chips or something. To apologise for..all this I guess."

"All what?"

"Crushing Marlon, for one." he shrugged, making me laugh.

"You remember her name?"

"You never let me forget it!" I rolled my eyes and looked down at my Jesus sandals. Mental note: I should've worn sneakers.

"Do you still want to buy me chips?" I asked as he put all his stuff in his backpack, which he slung against his back.

"Sure." he reached his hand out to me.

I took it hesitantly, but he squeezed mine as he led me out of the school building.

I'll make it to art class. I told myself.

No I won't.