12

Arkyn and Rebekah headed to Ohio, finding a small home to live with Alexis and baby Hope. Having never looked after a baby, Rebekah found it was a lot harder than she'd realised, but with Arkyn to guide her, it was fine. September came and Alexis had gone off to college. He hadn't talked to Klaus, or Elijah. Klaus had done a lot worse to him than Elijah ever had, but he'd forgiven Klaus, which kind of meant he had to forgive Elijah. Either way, Rebekah handled the communications.

One day, early November, Rebekah took Hope out to the park, leaving Arkyn to his thoughts. She wasn't gone as long as she normally was before she rushed back into the house.
"Ark!" She yelled. "We have to go! Hurry."
"What's going on?" He asked, following her yells to find her grabbing some essentials and packing them away.
"Mother's found us, and we have to go." He nodded understandingly and grabbed Hope from her strolled, fitting her in her car seat. He got in the driver's seat, starting the car as Rebekah got in.
"It took Esther a little longer than I thought it would to find us."
"Well those kids of yours are good with their magic."
"Seems like just yesterday they were tiny creatures. Like Hope."
"Stop getting all proud father on me." She rolled her eyes. "And keep heading west. Elijah's going to meet us."
"Not Klaus?"
"He has... other matters to attend to." She hesitated. She'd omitted the resurrections of their older brothers, instead only telling him of Mikael and Esther's returns. He'd always preferred Kol to the rest of his siblings, and somewhat looked up to Finn. She wasn't sure how he'd react.
"Like what, exactly?" He glanced at his sister who refused to meet his gaze. "What is it that you're hiding, Rebekah. I think I've more than proven that I can be trusted."
"It's nothing. Mother will be watching Nik and Hayley carefully. We can't risk it."
"You're going to an awful lot of trouble to hide nothing." He said. "So I'll stop and trust there's a good reason."
"Thank you." She smiled, guiltily.
"So... where exactly are we meeting Elijah?"

They met Elijah at an out-of-sight diner, not easily stumbled upon. Elijah stood as the twins walked in with Hope. His eyes immediately fell on the baby who had grown considerably since the last time he'd laid eyes on her. Arkyn nodded at him in greeting as Rebekah hugged him and they sat down with Hope set on the table. Elijah smiled at Hope.
"Look at you. So big. So perfect." He cooed.
"Mmm." Arkyn agreed.
"I can't imagine the joy of spending every day with her. It's..."
"...Quite lovely. It feels so human." Rebekah smiled.
"Yes, some would argue the most human of experiences."
"I know I have to give her back to Hayley when the time is right. But, she's made me realize how much I want that child of my own... that I know I can't have." She sighed.
"It's a lovely dream. Unfortunately, it's one that's just beyond our reach, considering the curse of our existence."
"Seems Esther's attacking with her usual fervor." Arkyn said.
"Yes, Mother tortured me for days with memories I thought I'd buried long ago. Then, she made an offer... to make us all mortal again." Arkyn and Rebekah looked up, stunned. "You see, Mother believes that by placing us in new bodies, we can then reclaim some kind of... purity. We can begin families of our own again. And, I have to confess, this invitation, however cruel in delivery, had a certain... appeal." Rebekah looked at him sympathetically, stretching her arm across the table so she could take Elijah's free hand in her own. He continued to gaze at Hope, as Arkyn spotted a smear of blood on the sleeve of his shirt and looked at Rebekah in concern. She seemed to spot the same thing, looking equally worried and Elijah seemed to pick up on it, though mistaking it for fear. "You needn't worry. We're safe." He assured. Rebekah faked a smile before standing on her feet and grabbing Hope's blanket.
"Looks like this little one needs her diaper changed!" Elijah stood to hand Hope back to her. "Here, my love." Rebekah said softly, heading towards the bathroom, leaving the boys alone.
"Arkyn, brother." Elijah said. "I know you said you wanted no apology-"
"Klaus has done a lot worse than you. You just let him do what he wanted, and that's why I hated you. Because you always just stood by and watched no matter what torture he put the rest of us through. But I honestly believe that he might actually have a shot at redemption through his daughter. Sacrificing everything for her- maybe he's not totally lost. And if he can find redemption, then you can too. You both still have a long way to go, but I really do believe there is hope, and with baby Hope in the picture, perhaps I can set aside my differences and help you find it."
"And your own?" Arkyn glanced up and saw Rebekah heading back, having set Hope on a nearby table.
"Xave and Lex are older." He said, taking his sister's cue and distracting him. "They're both in college. Now I'm not saying we should get together every holiday as a big, happy, dysfunctional family, of course, nor am I ready to trust you lot with them, but I do believe there is hope."
"Ark-" Elijah didn't get much further before Rebekah snapped his neck from behind.
"Nice work on the distraction. Did you mean it?"
"I think I did." Arkyn frowned. "Whatever, call Klaus. Something is wrong with him."
"There are bodies piled up back there." She told him. Arkyn looked more concerned as he stood, picking up his brother's body.