Chapter 15: Then Comes Morning

Sirius slowly rubs his temple in hopes that the impending headache will lessen in severity as he sits heavily on an armchair. This is not what he imagined when he pictured how he and his godson would be reunited. 

The morning had started in the early hours before any normal creature was supposed to be awake. Harry had screamed himself into consciousness before throwing up onto himself. Like any sensible adult, Sirius ran into the room to assess the damage, after calming himself from his fright. The sight of Harry covered in his own sick and sobbing his eyes out makes Sirius wonder if he'd be able to do this by himself. He's barely taken care of his own needs over the years. How is he supposed to be responsible for another human? 

The animagus dismisses the thought almost as soon as it enters his mind. This is his godson he's talking about. James and Lily entrusted him to be able to care for their precious bundle and damn it if it's the last thing he'll ever do. With a flick of his wand, Siri has the sick cleaned but Harry only seems to grow more distressed with the wave of unfamiliar magic again his skin.

Remembering how terribly their the previous day had gone instead of approaching the child to comfort him Paddy quickly makes an appearance. The now turned dog bounds into the room and hops up on the bed to snuggle against Harry's side.

Harry instantly clings to the animal and for a moment he forgets what occurred the day before and lets Paddy take away his fear and ground him to the present.

"W-want Bella," he stutters into the soft fur. Paddy whines in despair as Harry takes his first good look of the room since waking up. "Oh," is all he can manage to get out while choking back tears. He always seems to get himself in these types of situations. Going to Lord-- Tom turned out to work in the end but if he's learned anything throughout his life than it's nothing good comes out of these type of events.

~~

Lucius paces back and forth in his office. His posture shows clearly aggravated he is. If only he was paying more attention. If only he hadn't been so concerned with his own child and ward he would have been there for the person that needed him most. 

"You can't keep blaming yourself," a voice from the doorway interrupts his thoughts. Glancing up Lucius sees his oldest friend.

"If I had--" he's quickly cut off.

"There are a lot of what if's but none of them will bring Harry back. At this moment that's the only thing we need to focus on."

"You are right. Are the others back at the moment. I should be heading out soon to join the search." Lucius is already walking out of the door and heading for the main staircase before he allows Severus to answer.

"Indeed everyone is in the meet room waiting to discuss their findings. I'm afraid it isn't much but any start is better than none." The pair make their way down in silence each blaming themselves despite earlier words. No one can quite believe that they did everything in their power to ensure Harry's continued safety. If anything were to happen to the boy before they are able to locate him the group would surely be consumed by their guilt.

Once the pair arrives outside the designated meeting room they both take a moment to compose themselves and school their emotions. Now is not the time to think or focus on themselves or how this could have been prevented. Instead they inhale a deep breath, enter and take their seats.

The room has a large table not unlike the one in the dinning room only able to sit more people. They arrange themselves similarly to how they sit at meals. Tom takes the head with his immediate right and left empty. Severus and Lucius sit in the next chairs before another space is left where Narcissa and Bellatrix sit across from each other.