chapter 16: Home At Last

Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday. I hope you all have a great day.

"You look perfect, my Dear," Lucius says adoringly to his wife as she rushes back to their shared closet for the 4th time this morning. She only huffs in frustration before gracefully sitting down on the bed as Purebloods do not plop.

"This needs to go perfectly."

"We'll get him back," the blond tries to soothe, but Cissa just shakes her head.

"We've never had a very good relationship even before Little Siri was taken away to that awful place. I suppose before Hogwarts we always played together but then he was sorted into Gryffindor. In our family, we were conditioned to see Griffindores as beneath us. I suppose Siri just feel out of our favor without us really realizing what we were doing until it was too late."

"Now is a time where you can make it up to him," Lucius tries to comfort. "Nothing will be the same after today." As if the universe wished to prove that statement true itself, the adults of the manor felt a drastic shift of the wards. Almost like they were being violently ripped open so that someone can be forcefully shoved in.

Tom was in his study scheming new ways to punish Black when he felt the wards. His first thought was the children in the rooms above him and their safety before he rushes outside to join Lucius and Narcissa.

Out in the distance is the unmistakable figure of Paddy running towards them.

"How dare?" Lucius speaks with all the venom he can muster as he raises his wand, presumably to hex the mutt into next week.

"Wait, that's Harry's blanket in his mouth!"

The adults stand protectively in front of their home as they watch the hound get closer with his bundle.

Slowly, watching everyone's movement, Sirius sets the blanket down. It remains slightly folded so that the others aren't able to see what's in the center. Just as Bellatrix was about to snatch up the blanket and demand where Harry is the thing moved.

The small shift captures everyone's attention. All eyes fall to the blanket as Harry's bear rolls out of the open side. To everyone's utter confusion the movement doesn't stop. Instead, the shaking grows stronger until Paddy huffs and takes a step toward. The men adjust their stance to train their wands back on the convict.

He pays them no mind as he carefully nudges the other side of the blanket open to reveal the smallest puppy the group has ever seen. The little thing was clearly trying to escape the his blanket hammock that the animagus used to carry him in. Now that he can feel the fresh air breeze he starts whimpering and tries to stand.

It's at this moment that everything clicks and Paddy transforms into the man they know best as Sirius Black. He slumps to the ground before starting to speak.

"He's not mine," the group remains silent as they let him try to explain himself. "He was supposed to be mine when they left but I was selfish. I went after that damn rat and forgot all about my cub until it was too late. They let me rot in that hell hole for years and when I came out he was no longer mine." Sirius had unknowingly started petting the transformed Harry but stops abruptly to look up at Severus, "He's yours now," and Bellatrix, "and yours too. He was never mine. Not since before everything and even then he belonged to Lily and James."

"Did you teach him to transform, Siri?" Narcissa can't help but ask. This brings a slight smile to Sirius's face before he answers.

"No, I think I scared him. He was crying for Bellatrix and just transformed before we left. He was so scared of me but seemed to love Paddy."

"That does seem to happen when you take children away from the people that are taking care of them," Bella states is slightly mocking tone before scooping puppy Harry into her arms. He seems to immediately melt into her arms, going as far as to snuggle up and close his eyes in bliss.

Sirius's face falls as he watches how comfortable Harry is in someone else's embrace.  

"I should be going," he takes a step back. 

"Wait! The meeting wasn't only about getting Harry back," Narcissa confesses. "We use to be so close when we were little. I shouldn't have shut you out just because you were in a different house during school."

"That doesn't matter now," Sirius tries to deflect but Bella only continues where her sister left off.

"No matter what was going on we were raised to value family. Family was always supposed to come first but I let silly school rivalries get in the way of that. Can you ever forgive me Siri?"

"What? Of course! It was my fault. I made new friends and wanted nothing to do with my family afterwards. I just know that Harry needs you all. I can't give him the same protection you can. I can barely protect myself." The last sentence is said as he raises his shirt to reveal deep gashes, shugishly bleeding.

"What happened?" Tim speaks for the first time.

"I was just leaving to bring Harry here. I had to search the property first to make sure it was safe. Let's just say it wasn't," Sirius leaves it at that. "I have to go I know Dumbledore will want a report and I still have a rat to catch."

"Siri please stay. We can protect you. You should know by the amount of time you've spent around us that we wouldn't have sent those people after you. That leaves only one other person who knows your location." Bella tries to talk sense into her cousin, but Sirius omly gives a sad smile.

"I know that's why I have to go. I'll talk to you all in a few days when I get everything sorted." Without further ado the man turns back into Paddy and sprints into the wood knowing that he now has a lot more than his cub to fight for.

Although maybe, he doesn't have to do it alone.