Chapter 34

As we stepped out of the volcano, I ran into my parent's arms. They hugged me tightly, telling me how proud they were.

Kira had a bandage on her left arm, and when I looked over, I found that Peredite was helping Aviri onto a horse. She looked very sore, and I could see that her entire torso was wrapped in bandages.

"What happened to Aviri?" I asked.

Alison and Kira stepped back but still held onto each of my hands. "She protected her little sister." Kira answered, a look of pure guilt in her eyes.

I could see that Aviri was badly hurt, and I knew she took a blow, or maybe several to protect Kira.

"When we were retreating, a group of vampires attacked us from behind. I don't know how Aviri sensed it, because I couldn't. But she called out my name, and when I spun around, she took a sword to the chest, and another through her shoulder." Kira explained.

"It's not your fault." I told her. "That's what big sisters do."

"Draconian, I'm alright!" Nokiya shouted.

"Are you sure?" Draconian asked.

"Do I look unsure?" She laughed as Draconian set her down.

"Speaking of which." Alison rolled her eyes as Nokiya walked over to them. Akiya was obviously awake too, but she made no effort to have Dragoon set her down.

Draconian followed behind Nokiya as she walked over to us. "So this Aurora person." Nokiya questioned. "Who is she?" She looked at Kira for an answer.

"Goddess of Chaos and Order?" Kira answered.

Nokiya rolled her eyes. "Sarcasm will get you no where."

"It gets me everywhere." Kira answered.

"You should get that checked." Nokiya pointed to the decently sized gash on Kira's arm but Kira just shrugged.

"Its not as bad as it looks." Kira explained. "It could be so much worse, but its not. Thankfully."

Nokiya looked past Kira at Aviri as Peredite came over to us. "Kira. Can Aviri borrow Zoe?" Peredite asked.

"Of course." Kira nodded. Zoe stepped out of Kira's body and followed Peredite back over to Aviri who looked like she was not happy about Zoe having to possess her.

When Zoe possessed her, Aviri growled and leaned forward a bit, her hands gripping the horse's saddle like she was not comfortable at all. The purple bandages wrapped around her but Aviri didn't seem to get any more comfortable.

Nokiya put a hand on Kira's shoulder, and Kira looked back at her, her eyes once again filled with sadness. "Its our job to take care of the little sisters. I can't explain why, you just have to trust me. It's like a drive. If Aviri didn't take that blow, she'd never be able to live with herself knowing you got hurt and she did nothing."

"She could have blocked it with her sword." Kira offered.

"But that would be the smart thing to do." Nokiya laughed. "Just because we have to protect our younger siblings, doesn't mean we think it through."

Jurgen ran towards us with a panicked expression. "Where's Mari!?" He asked.

"Mari!? What do you mean!?" Nokiya asked.

"She was standing right next to me, and now she's gone!" Jurgen answered.

Akiya lept from Dragoon's arms and charged back into the volcano without a second thought. I yelled after her and chased her, with my parents and Nokiya following. Draconian returned to a sword form and Nokiya gripped it tightly as Dragoon and Camelia caught up to us.