Chapter Four: Sadie

"Horror movies are dumb."

I was sitting by the lake with Jax, having a smoke. My mother could take my freedom away from me, but she could never control my smoking habits. I'd used the idea from Geek Girl, and hid my cigarettes in tampon cases. I had ever so generously given Jax some of my limited supply. We were both lightheaded and woozy at the moment.

"I mean, all the characters do is scream and run. Only a few characters are actually sensible. Like Erin from You're Next. She was great. She fought back and won. Sidney Prescott is also a good final girl." My eyes narrowed. "I also hate the parents. Does it hurt to listen to your kid when they tell you that there's a killer? It might be hard to believe. But as a good parent, you should protect your child against anything they think is a threat. My mother wouldn't. I don't like her. She isn't a good parent. She never liked me."

Jax, who was almost perfectly sober, frowned. "You shouldn't say that. She's your mother."

I ignored him completely. "There should be rules to those dumbass slasher films. Rule One should be Sidney Prescott's. Always shoot twice and make sure the killer is dead. Rule Two should be survival of the fittest. Don't stop to help useless people. Playing the hero is so overrated."

"Rule Three, stick together, and make sure you trust each other." Jax's eyes flashed with annoyance. "If you're going to come up with some little clever plan like that, maybe you should try and stick to it."

"Oi!" Flash and Diesel walked out of the main cabin. Flash was grinning, and running towards us. "Can I have a smoke too?"

I looked him up and down. "No." Just for kicks, I took a long drag from my cigarette. "Where is that little trio of lovely ladies you always flirt with?" My question was answered when I saw them flocking out of the cabin, with the hippies, Maria, and Duncan in tow.

Flash grinned. "Jealous?"

Oh my god.

He actually did it. He used the most cliche line from modern rom-coms to try to get a girl.

I burst out laughing. Flash looked slightly miffed about his failure. "Listen, kid, you aren't going to get a girl through copycatting lines from fucking Netflix romantic-comedy movies. The only person that will work on is that retarded little blonde bimbo bitch." I frowned, thinking. "What's she called? Brinn? But that's because she's a cheap, easy slut that you also happen to find in Netflix romantic-comedy movies." I beamed at Flash.

"Britt," corrected Jax. "Her name's Britt."

I rolled my eyes. "And I don't care."

"Are you kids going to stay up?" I inwardly groaned when Maria walked over with that smile on her face again. Honestly, it was about as attractive as mud with makeup. I briefly wondered how she and Duncan had ever gotten together, but I quickly figured it out. Negative with negative equals positive. But in this case, it's still pretty negative to me.

After being ignored by everyone, Maria continued talking. "Make sure you don't stay up till midnight, okay? And try not to make too much noise. Marley, Rain, Duncan and I are going to sleep."

Words could not express how happy I was that, fortunately, Maria would not be around for the rest of the night to fuck up the rest of my already-pretty-fucked-up night.

"Hey guys!" Diesel was standing by a lit fire with Wyatt, who was emotionless. "We're having a campfire circle. Want to join?"

I was about to answer when I saw Britt arguing with Alice and Tori. Britt seemed to be on the verge of tears, while Tori seemed vaguely annoyed, and Alice seemed amused.