Chapter Seven: Sadie

Marley blinked really quickly. She'd probably just broken a few world records.

"Sadie?" Marley's eyes grew wide. Again, more world records broken. "Did you just shoot Maria? Wait wait wait but you died!" she sputtered, looking at Maria in disbelief.

Maria grinned. "No I didn't. Do you know what faking your death means, you dumbass hippie? Duncan and I got out of the bus right before it crashed. Then we shot Alice, and Tori joined us a few minutes later. Of course," she said, turning to me. "You just wouldn't die. You and Parish. I hate you brats." She was nearly screaming now. "I hate you!"

"The feeling is mutual," I retorted, but I was still reeling back in shock. Gone was bubbly, happy, cheerful Maria. In her place was a ruthless killer that strongly despised me and Jax.

Well, I always knew that she strongly despised me and Jax, but still.

"Sadie...what the hell is going on?" cried Marley.

I paused. How should I answer this? I jabbed a finger at Maria. "She's a murdering hoe."

Marley nodded, her eyes still as big as saucers. "I gathered."

I flashed her quick smile. "Go find Rain."

Marley hurried out of the room.

As soon as she was gone, I grabbed Maria's shirt, whipped out an arrow and held it to Maria's throat. "Why are you trying to kill us all?"

She shrugged nonchalantly. "No reason. Duncan and I were hired by Tori." She tilted her head. "You know, Sadie, I like killing people. There's a certain element of satisfaction that comes along with the package of ending someone else's life. This was the perfect job for me; killing off a bunch of spoilt hormonal little brats. But you had to ruin it!"

I took the arrow off of Maria's neck and stabbed it in her arm without batting an eye. She hissed in pain. "That's not it. Why don't we try again?"

"Bitch!" She proceeded to launch a load of really insulting things into my face.

I twisted the arrow. "Are you going to give me the answer I want?"

"I'm talking!" When I stopped twisting the arrow, Maria gave me a wild grin. "You know, you put the Sadie in sadistic. Tori should've hired you for this."

I smiled. "That's lovely. What exactly is this?"

"Revenge," answered Maria.

I mentally threw up. Revenge? Unoriginal much?

"For what?"

"Jasmine Lake-" started Maria, but there was a loud bang in the air that I'd already heard today. Gunshot. The window behind Maria shattered and a bullet flew into the room, but I wasn't the target.

Maria collapsed forward, shock written across her face. I quickly grabbed the bow, nocked the arrow in my hand, and released the arrow through the broken window. I was pleasantly rewarded with a grunt coming from my target.

My past life was probably Legolas or something. I made a mental note to apply for reincarnation as Katniss Everdeen once I got into heaven. 

Assuming, of course, that I wasn't a designated citizen of hell.

Rain and Marley rushed into the bathroom. I turned towards them. "We have to get out of here now." I plucked the knife out of Maria's hand, and found another one in her waistband. So she had been resourceful, unlike the husband of hers. I passed the knives to Rain and Marley, who took them hesitantly. "Here. Someone else is trying to kill us, and I don't know who. Wait outside."