Chapter Five: Jax

It was about three or so in the morning when the screaming started.

"Holy shit," I heard someone swear, knowing it was Sadie.

I stumbled out of my tent, in a mess. I was still wearing jeans and a black hoodie from last night. I ran a hand through my hair, hoping I didn't look like a half-dead scarecrow.

Outside, Flash was standing next to Diesel, who was sat on the ground, his face showing confusion and evident distress. Alice and Tori were whispering to each other, fear on their faces. Britt was hugging herself underneath a tree, whimpering. Rain and Marley were talking with Duncan and Maria. All of them, even the usually silent Duncan, were talking to each other loudly.

I came to the conclusion that something had happened.

Sadie was walking back and forth, mumbling to herself. She had obviously tried her best to get dressed quickly. She was wearing black jeggings, army boots, a tank top, and her leather jacket. Her hair had been put up in a messy ponytail, and her eyes were glazed over.

"What happened?" I asked Sadie.

She turned to me, and narrowed her eyes at me. "Didn't the screaming give it away?" She gestured at the tent next to mine. Wyatt's tent. I realized that he was the only one missing. "Go see for yourself."

I walked over to Wyatt's tent. As I lifted the flap, Maria stopped me. "Sweetie, you should probably leave the crime scene for the police untouched."

I frowned. "Crime scene?"

Maria drew the flap open.

My jaw fell open and I stumbled back in shock. "Holy shit."

Inside was Wyatt's dead body, eyes wide open, lying on the ground, his head propped up on a few pillows. There was bright red gash across his neck, and blood all over the tent, on the sleeping bag, in his shirt. On the wall was the most cliche phrase I'd ever seen, written with blood.

I'LL BE BACK.

I quickly shut the tent flap and walked over to Sadie. "That was extremely disturbing."

She raised an eyebrow. "Did you cringe?" She shook her head in evident disapproval and disgust. "Whoever this murderer is, he or she needs to get a better phrase to use. I'll be back is so unoriginal."

I nodded in agreement. "You're right, you know."

"Kids!" Somehow, being woken up at three in the morning did nothing to dent Maria's bubbly persona. "Duncan and I will be driving out on the minibus to try and get a signal. Listen to everything that Rain and Marley say, okay? Don't get into trouble."

"Someone just got fucking murdered. You can't get more trouble than that," scoffed Sadie quietly.

"No, really?" I said. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Duncan and Maria get onto the bus.

"You sarcastic shit." She sighed. "Fuck this. We're all going to die. I'm going to get my cigarettes, so I can at least spend the last moment of my life high on a cloud and not giving a shit about this fucked up mess."

I didn't bother to argue with Sadie, but something suddenly crossed my mind as she walked over to her tent. "Wait."

She turned. "Yes?"

"Your rules." I gave her an expectant look. "We're not all going to die if we follow them."

A slight smile flitted across Sadie's face. She walked back over and put her hand out. "Rule Three. Let's trust each other. We'll stick together. No secrets."