Colorado Urban Legends

While there are creepy urban legends all over the world, Colorado's ghost stories and myths hold a legendary status, thanks to Stephen King. The Centennial State is home to the Stanley Hotel, where King stayed in room 217 and saw an apparition that served as the inspiration for his book, The Shining. Colorado also harbors legends about skinwalkers, phantom automobiles, and even a gateway to hell just outside of the crumbled ruins of a haunted mansion.

Many spine-chilling ghost stories emerged from the haunting of the Lee property, which is one of the most famous hauntings in America. There is also an abundance of local lore surrounding the infamous Highway 666. This list is a collection of some of the most famous urban legends and ghost stories circulating throughout creepy Colorado.

 This list is a collection of some of the most famous urban legends and ghost stories circulating throughout creepy Colorado

The Black Forest Haunting

In 1990, Steve Lee moved his family into a log cabin home in the Black Forest region of northern Colorado. They rented it for a year before purchasing it, but once the land was theirs, things started getting weird. Initially, lights and electronic devices kept turning off and on, and eerie noises sometimes filled the air. But things got worse when the children began seeing shadowy figures lurking in the woods. This was followed by a strange odor that wafted through cabin that burned the family's throats and eyes.

Thinking it was pranksters, the Lee family installed motion detectors and cameras. However, the motion detectors would go off when nothing seemed to be happening on the cameras. Eventually, the Lee property tallied up 62 alleged "break-ins," though not a single one of them could be explained and nothing was missing. Steve Lee added more cameras, capturing more unexplainable phenomena like orbs, beams of light, and sometimes ghostly forms with faces.

The Lees could no longer pretend the cameras were the problem and they contacted the television show Sightings to document what became one of the most famous haunting's in America. The Sightings crew experienced and captured quite a bit of phenomena themselves. Cameras were knocked off tripods, one of their producers experienced an attempted possession, and the medium working with them determined there were multiple spirits in the house and a "rift in space-time" on the property.

The psychic also identified one of the spirits as someone the Lees knew, the son of a friend who everyone believed died of an overdose. His spirit allegedly told the medium that he was actually murdered.

 His spirit allegedly told the medium that he was actually murdered