North Carolina Urban Legends

Urban legends...they ignite the storyteller in all of us. We hear them, we tell them, and soon they become stories passed down through generations. While North Carolina is full of the haunted, the weird, and the scary...we also have some pretty interesting urban legends that add to the mystery and allure of our state.

we also have some pretty interesting urban legends that add to the mystery and allure of our state

Raleigh's Haunting Capitol Building History

Built in 1840, the old Raleigh state capitol building continues to be one of the best-preserved pieces of history in the state. The antiquated history is felt through original furniture, decorations, and souls that still linger. Between former enraged politicians and possible murder, politics aren't the only scary subject in Raleigh. In 1961, the seat of the North Carolina State Government moved just two blocks away, but the original building still remains. Of course, any old building contains tons of history...but what about ghosts? Most encounters of the ghostly kind are reported by the night watchers who claim to have heard yells, screams, and doors being unexplainably slammed and opened. The strangest encounter was witnessed and reported by a watchman by the name of Mr. Jackson. Jackson claims to have witnessed the manual elevator going up and down from the third to first floor, while distant voices carried on a conversation as if a time/space break was occurring and somehow, Jackson was witnessing a day in the life in the 1900s. In the 1860s, a woman was murdered at the front steps of the Capitol building. Witnesses who have heard chilling, shrill screams, attribute this to the victim's ghost. From downright terrifying to sometimes silly, the Capitol building and its ghosts are famous NC urban legends.

 From downright terrifying to sometimes silly, the Capitol building and its ghosts are famous NC urban legends

A scary 'monster' with a cute name, Lake Norman's Normie

Manmade in 1963, Lake Norman was created by damming the Catawba River at Cowan's Ford. While no ancient creatures could be waiting to make their ascension, something could have possibly been caught in the making of Lake Norman. 'Normie' has so many reports, and sightings, it is hard to believe this urban legend is NOT true. Divers have reported seeing a fish large enough to swallow a human, and have vowed never to dive in certain areas again. Fishermen and lake dwellers have also reported seeing Normie. Maybe he is just an overgrown garfish or mutated freshwater eel, but it is still a mystery what exactly lurks in these waters.