South Carolina Urban Legends

We know what we like to hear about our state, about the place we dwell, the place we let our children call home, however, nothing is all sunshine and rainbows. There is an underbelly to everything. A place where the darkness lives; a place where the sunshine never reaches. This is the place that births the strange, unusual, and sometimes...sometimes the most terrifying stories you will ever hear or the ones you never want to hear. These are the stories that become urban legends; the ones we tell each other around campfires and the ones children tell other children in their rooms on sleepovers using flashlights. Are they real? I'm sure that everything is based on some fact whether it is a huge vein of truth or a sliver of breath. It is up to you to decide in the end. What do you believe?

 What do you believe?

The Lizard Man

Described as being taller than the average man, the Lizard Man is said to be muscular, covered with dark hair and scaly lizard-like skin on its face, hands, and feet. It is said that he has three fingers on each hand and three toes on each foot. The strength of the beast has been reported to be more than enough to rip a car to shreds. There have been quite a few reported sighting of this creature around South Carolina. The first such sighting was reported on June 29, 1988, by Christopher Davis. His report is as follows: "I looked back and saw something running across the field towards me. It was about 25 yards away and I saw red eyes glowing. I ran into the car and as I locked it, the thing grabbed the door handle. I could see him from the neck down – the three big fingers, long black nails and green rough skin. It was strong and angry. I looked in my mirror and saw a blur of green running. I could see his toes and then he jumped on the roof of my car. I thought I heard a grunt and then I could see his fingers through the front windshield, where they curled around on the roof. I sped up and swerved to shake the creature off." Other reports have been made as well including the mauling of cars that have been documented as looking as though they had been chewed up by something.

" Other reports have been made as well including the mauling of cars that have been documented as looking as though they had been chewed up by something

Crybaby Bridge

Everyone knows the legend of Crybaby Bridge. Some know the one in Anderson, which by far is the most famous one in South Carolina, and many know of another one. In fact, there are quite a few in South Carolina and nationwide. The one  in Anderson, SC has quite a history. It was originally built in Virginia in 1919, brought to Charleston, and the in 1952 was moved to Anderson. There are a few different ways this story goes, but the most popular is that there was an accident late one night. A mother lost her baby to the flow of the river. It is said that if you go on this bridge late at night you can hear the crying of a baby and if you are lucky you may even see the mother walking up and down the bridge searching for the child she lost so long ago.