Indiana Urban Legends

Every state has its folklore and the Hoosier State is no different. Home to lots of rural land, there are plenty of creepy Indiana urban legends regarding very old buildings, deserted roads, and remote cemeteries. If you live in Indiana, or ever find yourself passing through, you may want to visit some of these locations. Who knows? You may catch a glimpse of Black Annie in Booneville or run into the Lady in Grey while stopping by Evansville's Willard Library.

Ghost stories from Indiana often encompass the state's history. The Battle of Tippecanoe has supposedly left its mark on Battle Ground, Indiana and the state's association with the Underground Railroad has resulted in some lingering spirits. If you're looking for something to do in Indiana, browse this list and pay some of these locations a visit.

 If you're looking for something to do in Indiana, browse this list and pay some of these locations a visit

The Willard Library's Lady In Grey

The Willard Library in Evansville, Indiana has long been rumored to house the eerie spirit known as the Lady in Grey, who some visitors have sworn they've captured in photographs. Some theorize she is the daughter of the former owner of this house turned library, Louise Carpenter, although no one knows for sure. Her presence is said to sometimes be accompanied by musky perfume, moving books, flickering lights, and faucets turning on and off on their own.

Over the years, there have been many Lady in Grey sightings and psychics even visited the library in 2007 and claimed they could confirm a ghostly presence. Police officers once arrived at the library when the security system went off and reportedly saw ghosts in the upstairs window. She has also appeared to library patrons in the elevator and a local weathermen also claimed to have an encounter. The library sponsors ghost tours every year during October so Evansville residents and visitors can get a chance to spot the Lady in Grey themselves.

 The library sponsors ghost tours every year during October so Evansville residents and visitors can get a chance to spot the Lady in Grey themselves

The Legend Of Black Annie

A woman named Black Annie still walks the streets in Boonville, according to legend. She supposedly died in a house fire in the 1930s and appears to visitors as a figure dressed in black. On occasion, she's been known to jump on people's cars. She is also spotted wandering the cemetery where she is buried, and haunts the still-existing remnants of the house that burned down with her in it. So many people have witnessed her haunting that the town organized an event around her called the Black Annie Walk.