five

March 1, 2018

The hole in the wall coffee shop was Austons' idea. It had just opened up in a quaint area of town and he decided he desperately needed a pick-me-up after a brutal practice.

"Babs is in overdrive. It's prime time all the time." He looked exhausted, sprawled out over the sofa, hockey bag and shoes strewn out in the foyer. I sat down next to him, laughing at his over dramatic nature. He lifted his head up and scooted so it was laying in my lap, my fingers going through his hair on their own accord, the strands still partly wet from his shower. "Sounds like you busted your ass today then?"

"Practice keeps getting worse. I know it's a month till playoffs and best hockey and all that but it feels like we're pushing harder and harder and nothing's happening. It's just brutal." He sighed, looking up at me.

"If you guys are working that hard and he's pushing you that hard then something has to come out of it. You're probably stressed and need to take your mind off of everything. Let's go do something."

He sat up, "like what?"

"I don't know what's gonna relax you?"

"Uh, I know that new coffee place you've been talking about just opened if you wanna try that."

I got up grabbing my keys, "sounds good, let's do it."

"Right now?" He asked following me out the door, trying to step over all his equipment without tripping.

"Yup. You're putting your shit up when we get back by the way."

He chuckled as we stepped into the elevator, saluting me, "sir yes sir."

"And I'm driving."

"Uhh no you're not."

"Okay fine." I stepped out of the elevator. Waiting until I got to the door of the parking garage to go into a sprint. I figure if he really is tired he won't try to fight me on it, and if he isn't then we have ourselves a challenge. "First one to the car gets to drive!"

"Oh you're on!" My head start gave me a decent lead but he was catching up pretty quick. The car was on the second level, and we had just made it up the stairs. I still somehow preserved my lead, and as I made it to the drivers side door, he was right behind me, boxing me in so I couldn't move.

"Ya know, for someone who just had a brutal practice you don't seem tired." My eyebrow quirked up and he just laughed as I caught my breath, his arms on either side of me and palms flat against the car. He looked fucking perfect for starters, and not at all like he sprinted and climbed the damn stairs. He wasn't even breathing hard for Christ's sake.

"And for someone who hates running you just sprinted your little heart out." He teased. I scrunch my nose in distaste as he laughed. I turned around, unlocking the car and booting him to the passenger seat. We climbed in and I started the engine, smirking,"we all have our days Aus."

Auston held the door open for me as we walked into the shop and the smell of the coffee grounds immediately overtook my senses. I could tell I was about to get some good quality coffee. The aesthetic was cute, white tile flooring and marble countertops with black and wooden accents. But it was the menu that caught my eye. Pastries galore and some pretty interesting coffee orders. I figured I would go pretty basic with a vanilla latte, and Auston just ordered a black coffee. The barista seemed a little bit in shock as he placed his order, but we ended up with two coffees that said my name on them.

It wasn't too busy so Aus got a table fairly easy, and as we sat down I could see him visibly relax.

"This place is cute." I said leaning back in the brown leather armchair across from him. The gold coffee table between us added a nice touch to the decor and I took mental notes that I could bring back to our apartment. A year of living there and it was still blank. My room was somewhat put together but the rest of the tiny space resembled Aus' room and that was just a no go. Mostly blank walls and necessity furniture. It was about time to do something with it.