three

July 30, 2017

The nights at the lake house were fun, but it was the nights back home in the warm summer air that had me missing Arizona. Toronto was beautiful, but it was so different than what I was used to.

I was sitting in Austons backyard, at our usual family dinner, roasting my own marshmallow. Our parents were inside with our sisters and their friends, finishing up dinner and talking about Toronto and Auston gearing up for the next season.

It's still July.

I excused myself, so I could get some air and think, which turned into me getting an early start on the s'mores making.

I guess it felt like it was a little too early to think about going back. I love hockey. I love everything about it. I love the game, the season, the rivalry, the fights, the all star game, and playoffs. And all of that is great but, I really love Auston.

It felt good admitting it to myself after such a long time.

I think I just want to keep him in this bubble a little while longer. All to myself. It was selfish really. He wasn't just mine anymore. Or maybe he never really was. He belongs to the city. He owns a piece of their hearts, and they own a piece of his. It's tough competing with a love like that.

I heard the screen door shut and assumed it was him, but when Alexandria's friend Ally sat down, I was a little surprised. We were only acquaintances. I knew her through Alex and she knew me through Matt's. We said hi, and how are you when we saw each other, but that was the extent of our friendship. I had never had a full blown conversation with her, and I didn't know if tonight was the night I wanted to start one.

She was beautiful, with fiery red hair, warm brown eyes, and freckles. And as she sat next to me, I suddenly felt a little insecure. I knew she had had a crush on Auston before. And to make matters worse she was never a bitch about it, or a bitch in general. She was sweet, and someone I could definitely picture him with. It only made the revelation I came to tonight burn a little. Painstakingly so.

We sat in silence for a bit, but she was the first to speak, "Hey (Y/N)."

"What's up Ally." I said pulling the now flaming marshmallow out of the fire to blow it out.

"Umm, how is it, ya know, in Toronto? Are you liking college?" She was being nice enough, but dancing around questions was no way to fly with me. I tried to balance my chocolate on the prongs of the stick, just so I could get it melty. It took a few tries but I finally accomplished it.

"Yeah, it took some adjusting the first semester especially with both Auston and I's schedules, but I like it a lot. When I'm not studying it's nice to have a break and watch his games and stuff." I shrugged. I stuck my tongue out in concentration as I put my masterpiece of a smore together, trying to perfect it. She laughed lightly as it got all over my face, easing the tension a bit and I chuckled too.

"It must be nice getting a fast pass to all of that stuff huh? She said getting the utensils to make her own and I nodded.

"I've always been a hockey fan, so it's fun, but being best friends with him and watching him live his dream? That's the best part." I shrugged. I turned my head over my shoulder to look back at Aus through the screen door, he had a smile lighting up his face as he messed with my sister, probably yelling about something stupid when he looked up. I smiled, waving goofily and he did the same back. I shook my head a little, letting out a chuckle. Same old Auston.

Ally looked at me wearily, "are you sure you're just friends?"

And as I glanced back at him for a second time, my eyes lingered just a little too long. "just friends Ally."