seven

September 2, 2018

Auston's POV

Leafs media day was one of my favorites just because we got to jack around and be our goofy selves, and the pressure was off for a bit before we started the season.

I took some head shots and they had some cool lights set up on the ice, doing quick intros and videos to go up on the megatron for when we scored. It all passed by too quickly and soon enough they were ushering is into the makeshift studio for Leaf to Leaf. It was my favorite part of media day because it's easier to be genuine with your teammates than with a random person interviewing you. I had done it with Freddy, and Enzo, but this time they had me paired up with Mitchy. Our media team was definitely going to get the content they deserved.

We sat down, mugs at the ready, with cue cards of dumb questions we already knew about each other but apparently the public was dying to know.

"If you could take anyone to dinner dead or alive who would it be and why?" Mitch asked, "if you don't say me, we're not friends anymore."

The smug little bitch. I laughed in response, "starting off with an ultimatum? Exactly why it's not you."

"Oh sure." He teased. But I thought about it for a second.

"Probably (Y/N)." I shrugged.

Mitch's brow raised at that, "do tell why."

"Probably just cause she always has something interesting to say and she's super quick witted, and can keep conversation going unlike some people." I jab and nod at him and he acts offended. "You wouldn't want to have dinner with me?"

I shook my head, "I mean no offense Mitchy buttttt.." he glared at me, "I'm still going with (Y/N)."

Mitch gave me another smug look and I rolled my eyes. "What was it like growing up in Arizona, what did you do for fun other than hockey?"

"Uh I think it was pretty normal. Played some baseball. Hung out with friends, swam in the summer, messed with my sisters a lot." I laughed, remembering all the pranks I pulled on them over the years, just being an absolute shit.

"What do you miss the most about Switzerland?"

"Probably just the atmosphere and the people there. Everything is so clean and the food was amazing."

After our questions they had us do the thing from Minute To Win It, I think, where you have to get the Oreo from your forehead to your mouth. It was a lot harder than it looks, but slowly and surely I nudged it down to my nose with my eyebrows. I didn't dare look over at Mitch for fear that it would drop. I scrunch my nose up just a little and then reach with my tongue to get it in my mouth. I looked to Mitch and that's when his dropped onto the floor. I laughed as he pouted and they gave him a couple just to eat. "Don't tell my nutritionist I had these." Mitch joked and the camera crew laughed.

"That's it guys thank you for your time!" One of the producers said and we headed back to the locker room to get out of there.

Mitch nudged my shoulder, "Out of all the people in the world you could take to dinner, and you choose (Y/N)?" Mitch laughs.

I cross my arms defensively, "Yeah what's the problem with that?"

He walked to his stall, grabbed his things and then turned to face me, "You are an idiot." He clapped me on the back as he walked out and I had no choice but to follow after him.

"What do you mean I'm an idiot? Why am I an idiot?"

"You're literally the only person in the entire world that doesn't realize how much you guys are like an old married couple or something jeez." I quirked a brow, and he muttered something along the lines of,  "The way you two banter? Reminds me of my grandparents."

I grabbed his arm before he walked out, stopping him, "We don't act like a couple. Do we?" I tried to think of a time where something may have crossed a line, but everything I could mention was considered normal between us. Probably had been for a long time.

"Uh buddy, the entirety of leafs nation and their mothers, thinks you guys are dating. Hell, I'm pretty sure MY mom thinks you guys are together."

"Uhhh." I didn't really know what to say to that. "How?"

"Just from your social media posts with each other and whenever you guys are together you kind of cling to each other. I've rarely seen you guys separate at events or functions or get togethers. You kinda look at each other weird."

"You pay that much attention to our relationship?" I laugh and Mitch does too.

"No, but Steph does, and I hear about it every time she hangs out with (Y/N). And that's almost everyday. Girls apparently like to over-analyze this shit."

To be honest this wasn't the worst news I've ever heard. If people think we're together already and think we go good together, there has to be something there that I'm not seeing.

"Okay so people think we're a couple. How bad could it really be?" Mitch just shrugged and headed towards his car.