[BOOK] [EN] The Satanic Bible (Anton Szandor LaVey)

I used to scoff at Church of Satan's answer to anyone that asks, "How do I become a Satanist?" For as long as I remember, their response has always been the same: "We believe that one doesn't become a Satanist, they simply discover that they are one."

Ever since I discover Satanism (LaVeyan Satanism, just to give the distinction for those that insist to believe Satanism = devil worshipping), I've always had a great deal of respect for its philosophy. The reason why I scoffed at CoS' answer for the question of how does one become a Satanist is because, to me knowledge, for one to align and/or become a part of religion, then they must study the religion of their choice, find themselves willing to obey to its rules and customs—essentially re-aligning their beliefs to suit of that religion. In other words, they become a follower of that religion. The other (and less ideal) option is, obviously, to simply "inherit" the religion from their parents. (LaVeyan) Satanism is, for all practical purposes, a recognised religion. An atheistic religion, but a religion nonetheless. So I figured, to be a Satanist, it musn't been any different than to be a follower of any religion.

Until I read this book and found meself, and me own principles, reflected in a lot of the pages. In all honesty, it would be safe to say that, aside from the magic part of the book, I was reflected in all of the pages.

THE SATANIC BIBLE: BOOK OF LUCIFER
“WANTED! GOD - DEAD OR ALIVE”

A little note: Being apatheistic—apathetic about the existence of an entity called 'God'—I, too, believe that even if God does exist, then It wouldn't have spare a thought about humans

A little note: Being apatheistic—apathetic about the existence of an entity called 'God'—I, too, believe that even if God does exist, then It wouldn't have spare a thought about humans. Do you care about what the ants are up to? Probably not. We are the ants to God(s).

Might be anecdotal, and perhaps CoS' belief might be proven wrong after all by someone else, but lads ... I didn't become a Satanist, I simply discover that I was one already. A blasphemy to a lot of religious folks, am sure. But ey, I didn't choose the Satanic life; the Satanic life chose me.

I do have a criticism for it. Starting from “Book of Belial”, I found meself questioning a lot of what LaVey had to say about magic and magick—the latter, I've been told by a Neo-Pagan practitioner, is used to refer to magic rituals. Me understanding of Satanic magic is that: It's not some supernatural power, rather, an actual set of actions done by an individual with the intent to create the desired outcome. To put it simply, the Satanic magic is a very real and observable thing that anyone with enough drive, motivation, and clear goal in mind, can do.

Hmm, that's probably not a good enough explanation. Okay, then, picture this: Ye have a crush on someone, but ye think that they're out of yer league. So day by day, ye start to better yerself, ye present yerself in a way that highlights yer best physical feature and just generally appealing to the eye, and ye also learn what yer crush is interested in. So when the day comes, ye put on yer best dress, ye give yerself a pep talk, and onward ye march to finally form a real connection with them. They become interested in ye, and the two o' yous go on a date. That's the Satanic magic. If am not mistaken, that's how LaVey introduced the concept as well, in the beginning of “Book of Belial”.

But as he went on and on about the "magic", it was more confusing than enlightening. The way he talked about seem as though he believed or interpreted the magic as some supernatural power, which I personally think is a bunch of horsheshit. Am not sure if I missed something, if I misinterpreted it, if LaVey was a hypocrite in that regard, or if he was trolling his reader. Nonetheless, I'll just disregard the magic part (and the rituals as well, while we're at it, because: How the hell is it any different than the act of praying ye just thoroughly mocked several chapters before, o' High Priest? What does reciting mantras and burning parchment papers on designated black/white candles going to do? Moreover, how does calling the names of the Princes of Hell and other villainised although awesome but fictional characters would help one's cause? I mean, sure, aye, they sound nice to hear and may roll off the tongue nicely, but what real purpose does it have?) and be on me merry way. I will, however, hold on any definitive conclusions until I re-read the bible thoroughly once again, preferably the legit copy, as well as High Priest Gilmore's The Satanic Scripture and other Satanists' work in case Sloan did tampered the content, or if I was simply misunderstanding something.

Remember, lads: Satanism requires study, not worship! And study it is what I shall do.

Rated: 4/5