Chapter Twenty-Four: For Your Protection

(Angel's P.O.V)

   Once Richard left Mr. Sevens seemed to relax. He gestured for me to sit in the desk in front of his as he sat on the edge of his. He sighed but smiled when I complied. "I wonder why Richard doesn't like him," I thought to myself as I waited for him to speak.

    "Well Krystal," he paused awkwardly and rubbed his neck, "How do you like your new family?" I looked at him puzzled, trying to understand what he meant. "I mean, how is Bruce treating you," he explained. I .looked at him curiously and before I could answer he stood up and started examining me causing me to shrink back automatically. His eyes narrowed and I was glad to be wearing the outfit I had on so he couldn't see the bruises or the tape that held my ribs in place.  I would have healed myself or put up a guard, but Bruce wanted me to save my energy, though right now I wish I had. 

      "He's treating me fine," I said trying to hide the suspicion from my voice. "Why," I asked but he shook his head before leaning back on his desk. "Can I go now," I asked trying to sound more annoyed than nervous. Fail.

      "Why are you wearing long sleeves," he asked causing me to stiffen. Which he noticed. "It doesn't make any sence to wear long sleeves in the summer" he paused and leaned forward, "Unless your hiding something." I shook my head trying to stay calm. What is with this guy? "So if I asked you to roll up your sleeve you would be perfectly fine," he asked walking toward me. I flinched and pulled my hand away when he touched it causing him to frown. "Let me see your arm," his voice gentle as he reached for my arm. I watched as he took my arm and rolled up the sleeves. He gasped when he saw the dark purple bruises that left a trail on my arms. "Who did this to you," he whispered as he lightly traced the bruises, "Was it Bruce?" I shook my head and pulled my arm away. "If it was Bruce you have to tell me," he insisted, the rim of his eyes holding moisture.

     "No Bruce didn't do it," I said tugging on my sleeve and looking away, "It was my brother."  

         "Brother," he asked confused stopping my hand as it tugged down my sleeve. 

    "I snuck out to see him and he lost it," I told him as tears welled up in my eyes. "But please don't tell Bruce," I pleaded, "My brother didn't mean it, and I don't want to get in trouble for sneaking out." I felt a tear run down my face, and Mr. Sevens pulled me into an embrace.

     "I'm sorry," he said gently, "I have to. It's for your protection." I shook my head allowing myself  cry. "I 'm sorry," he whispered again before pulling away, and I saw he had tears in his eyes. "I better write you a pass so you can go to your next class," he said standing up and writing a one. I nodded and gathered my things before leaving for my next class.

(Mr. Sevens P.O.V)

   I watched as Richard left, relaxing when he did. I glanced over at Krystal and gestured for her to sit in front of me. I watch as she did but saw the hint of fear in her eyes causing me to sigh but covered it with a smile. "Well Krystal," I said while I rubbed the back of my neck, "How do you like your new family?" She looked at me confused, and I quickly reworded it. "I mean how is Bruce treating you," I explained and she nodded understanding. Before she could answer I stood up to get a better look at her, and she shrank back causing me to narrow my eyes. What was she hiding? 

    "Bruce is treating me fine," she said with a hint of suspicion in her voice. "Why," she asked and I shook my head before leaning back on my desk. She wore the normal uniform but had a long sleeved jacket that brushed her fingertips. This hid her arms as well as most of her torso. "Can I go now," she asked seeming to try to sound annoyed but it was clear she was on edge. 

     "Why are you wearing long sleeves," I asked and watched as she stiffened and pulled her arms closer to her. "It doesn't make any sense to wear long sleeves in the summer," I paused and leaned forward to see her face, "Unless your hiding something." She shook her head looking as though she was trying to hide the sadness that was etched in her eyes.  "So if I asked you to roll up your sleeves your would be perfectly fine," I asked and knelt next to her and place my hand on hers. She flinched and pulled her hand away. I softened my gaze and frowned when I saw the fear in her eyes. "Let me see your arm," I said gently and reached for her arm. She let me take it, and I gently rolled up her sleeve. I heard myself gasp as I saw dark purple bruises that almost seemed to paint her arm. "Who did this to you," I whispered and lightly traced one of her bruises, "Was it Bruce?" She shook her head and pulled her arm away. Anger and sadness bubbled up inside of me. "If it was Bruce you have to tell me," I told her, feeling tears fill my eyes. How could someone hurt a child? 

     "No Bruce didn't do it," she whispered and tugged on her sleeve, "My brother did it."

     "Brother," I asked while I stopped her hand. Did Richard do this? 

    "I snuck out to see him, and he lost it," she said as tears filled her eyes.  Part of me was relieved that it wasn't Richard, but most of me still felt the anger from before. "Please don't tell Bruce," she pleaded causing conflict in me start, "My brother didn't mean it, and I don't want to get in trouble for sneaking out." I watched as a tear ran down her face, and I couldn't help but pull her into an embrace.   

    "I'm sorry," I said gently, "I have to. It's for your protection." She shook her head, and I felt her start to cry. "I 'm sorry," I whispered again before pulling away, and I felt tears in my own eyes. "I better write you a pass so you can go to your next class," I said and stood up before pulling out a pad of paper. She gathered her things, and I handed her the signed piece of paper. I watch as she left before walking over to my desk and dialed Mr. Wayne's number. 

-------------------------------------------------------A/N----------------------------------------------------

  Please comment and vote!