(14) Trip Down Memory Lane.

Devlin stood in the thick darkness of midnight in front of Pamela's bed, staring at her intently, watching as her chest gently rose and fell. It was not exactly a blockbuster movie, but watching her was something that filled him with peace, something he never imagined that he could feel by merely watching a person sleep.

Torrents of emotions were coursing through him, and he didn't know which one to feel. Anger, fear, uncertainty - things he hated feeling were running through his head like a buzzing fly.

He could have lost her! She could have died! Not like he cared but he promised King that he would take care of her. Also, it was his fault he was dead.

Bitterness crept through him and welled up in his chest. He owed King a lot of things. His life included. Robert had picked him off the streets when he was just shy of 13 years old. He had just escaped from foster care and had gone to a grocery store to shoplift.

Robert had entered the store with his very beautiful wife and a little girl, about 5 or 6 years old. She was crying for a Popsicle but her mother was having none of it.

"It's a no, Pamela. You've had a lot of sweets and chocolate today."

The little one bawled louder and Robert grimaced at the noise. He gave his wife a pleading look.

"Please mommy," He looked at his daughter. "Pam Pam say 'please Mommy'"

Pam Pam had turned her lips downwards in a stubborn way and said nothing.

"Come on baby, say 'please Mommy'"

Little Pamela had refused to plead until she later gave up and pleaded. Devlin had been busy trying to shoplift but he couldn't help but smile at the stubborn little girl.

Robert had caught his smile and had smiled back at him. Even at that age, Devlin had hated showing emotions so he quickly readjusted his face and tore his eyes away from the happy family, trying to focus on his mission there. His stomach had given enough warning signals.

He got to a row where burgers were displayed and drew nearer. He looked around and saw that the store attendant was busy with customers so he picked one up and shoved it into his pants. He picked another and another. His pants were huge enough to accommodate the parcels because he had come prepared.

He walked briskly and nervously towards the exit, praying and hoping he wouldn't be caught.

Just let me go free this time... I won't do this again. This is the last time, I promise. I'll go back to home and be a good kid.. I'll -

"Hey, you. Stop there." a cop hollered at him just as he was about to slip through the door.

His heart pounding in his chest, he turned around, trying to assume a straight face. The cop regarded him warily.

"Where are the things you bought?"

"I - I decided not to buy anymore."

"Why not?" If the pot-bellied man was wary before, he was now really suspicious.

He grabbed Devlin by the shirt. "I've dealt with scrawny little pests like you in the past. Get in here!" The man put his hand into Devlin's pants and brought out the parcels he had pilfered.

Panicking, Devlin wrung free and broke into a run but was held back by other guards who had been alerted by the ruckus.

"You're going to spend the night in jail, then it will teach you a lesson never to shoplift."

"I was hungry!" Devlin shot back angrily, even when he knew he was in trouble, and he was wrong. "If your government provide adequate care for the foster homes, I wouldn't be here, would I?"