(31) Never Leave Me.

"I wouldn't use those adjectives to describe you."

"What?" Devlin dropped the phone he just used on the bedside table and scooted over towards her.

"Giant, macho, scary? I remember they were the exact opposite when I first met you."

Devlin drew her closer and laughed into her neck. They were in their honeymoon suite still in Homer. It was something Cody had set up for them, and for something so off-the-cuff, it had been a nice turnout.

They had started kissing right from the moment their feet touched the floor of the suite – Devlin hadn't even waited for the porter to leave, the poor man had had to leave in a hurry, his face, ears, and neck pink in embarrassment. They had made love numerous times; in fact, it had been sex and food for the fourteen hours they had spent in their suite. They were, after all, married.

It was two at the midnight and after yet another sizzling lovemaking, Devlin had excused himself to make a call and had wandered into the bathroom while doing so. Pamela had no idea why she remembered the priest they had seen just before leaving.

"Really? So what adjectives did you use to describe me when you first met me?" He asked.

"Handsome, good enough to eat but menacing."

"Menacing? Of all the things to say."

"Ominous, then."

Devlin laughed. "I was only putting up a front. First impression and all that."

"Hmm, let's face it, you were a brute. But a beautiful one, no doubt."

"Thank you. You turned a nice dime." He said and they laughed.

"What about you? What adjectives did I get?"

He rubbed his beardless chin as if in thought. "Spoilt, for sure."

"Incredible." She said sarcastically.

"Cute, whinny, and tiny,"

Pamela whacked him on his chest and he yelped. "What are you talking about? Tiny?"

"Well, I met you when you were about five years old."

She was surprised. She didn't know that. She told him just that.

He nodded at her and told her all about how Rob had taken him and Peter in and had trained them to take over the business.

Pamela's eyes widened in shock. "I find that hard to conceive. My dad was running a hard drug business?"

"He needed the money, I guess." Devlin shrugged like it was no big deal.

"That does not justify what he did." She said, still unable to come to terms with the shocking revelation.

"Look, babe, not every business is as shiny as we see. The company turned a loss and as a result, he needed quick money to support the legal business to be able to give you something to fall back on when you were grown enough. The business gave him just that. I guess where he went wrong was keeping the business after he was afloat. "

She was taciturn for a few seconds, chewing on what he said. "Did my mom know about this?"

He nodded. "She asked him to shut it down, and I'm guessing he was about to when he found me."

Pamela stood and paced the room. "He dumped an empire of drugs on a kid. I guess my dad was not such an angel as I thought he was." It took a lot for her to say that. She was in-between mad and disappointed at her dad.

Devlin stood, brought her back to the bed, and took her hand in his, rubbing it tenderly. "No one is," he said gently. "In truth, I'm glad he gave me this business - It's not about the money or the power it brought me, but because it led me to you. I mean, if your dad had wanted to help me in any other way, he probably would have sent me to another foster home or something and I would never have met you again. What's more, I never would have been there, and much less ready when your mom called to tell me that you had been threatened by Bull. Sometimes, everything happens for a reason."