(26) Goodbyes.

Pamela arrived at the hospital feeling numb and heartbroken. She sat facing the window in the truck as Ivan drove to the hospital, watching the slow traffic move steadily, and said nothing to him. She even ignored his poor attempts to start a conversation with her.

She sighed. He was only trying to be nice.

"You were saying?" She said to him, giving him a small smile.

He smiled at her as if pleased she was finally interested in a conversation. "I said you shouldn't worry, miss. The boss can be mean sometimes but he's not a bad person. He'll come around."

She doubted that. "Thank you, Ivan." She said as they neared the hospital. She would just say her goodbyes and go to her second prison.

Pamela had thought Devlin's breakup with her was the worst thing that could ever happen to her, but it was not. She hadn't been ready for his anger, hadn't been ready for his coldness – but she wasn't even remotely ready for what happened next.

In the waiting room, people were not much, only a few patients sat there, and even the nurses who were usually at the counter were absent. This made it so easy for her to spot a blonde man sitting with his shoulders slumped, picking his fingernails.

Marcel.

She couldn't believe she had loved those fingernails, had thought they were magical; she couldn't believe she had loved this terrorist.

"What are you doing here?" She asked approaching him cautiously.

Careful, she said to herself. He doesn't know you've found him out. Her eyes flickered around him to see if he was holding a pistol or a knife or something, but the innocent look he gave her poised no threat.

"Who is he?" Ivan asked as Marcel stood.

Pamela turned to look at Ivan. "Please can you go see if Peter has arrived yet?" If Ivan found out who Marcel was, he was going to cut his head off for sure.

Ivan gave Marcel a long suspicious glare before nodding. "If you need me, just yell."

Pamela nodded, grateful she had someone to protect her.

As soon as Ivan was gone, Pamela asked again, "How did you know I was here?"

He had the effrontery to look worried. "I heard what happened with your mom, so I came here to see if you were okay. Are you?"

Pamela scoffed. "How dare you? We found you out, Marcel. I know everything."

Pamela expected him to feign surprise or even bafflement. She was ready for that, but she sure as hell wasn't ready for him to give up his cover so easily. Instead of looking surprised, he looked...calm, reserved, and cool. Like he was confirming her suspicions.

Her heart broke. Shattered into tiny million unrecoverable pieces.

Tears filled her eyes. "I didn't want to believe it when I was told." She whispered. "I didn't!"

He just stood there, looking angry, clenching his jaws. Pamela still couldn't come to terms with the fact that Marcel was in cohorts with a murderer. She couldn't believe that Marcel had endangered the lives of her mother and several others. She shut her eyes tight, trying to hold back the sob that wanted to escape her.

"I regret it," Marcel said, his voice rough with emotion. "Every single day, I regret it."

Pamela scoffed. "Are you fucking kidding me right now? You almost destroyed my life!" She turned away to stare at the white hospital walls. "I should have seen the signs.... they – they were so obvious but I was –" She scoffed. "I was blind."