(17) Under Lock And Key.

Ps: The picture is Cody.

The murderous glare Devlin shot Peter was enough to make him squirm and bolt. But he was not looking at Devlin. He was looking dreamily at the ceiling and talking like a goddamned fool.

"Alex is going to be there, and she'll be green with envy! That'll force her to come back to me. Then I'll kiss her and I'll take her to my room and make love to her till –"

"No."

"– we become tired and replete from desire then I'll –" he stopped short, his brows creasing into a confused frown. "I beg your pardon?"

"I said no. You're not taking Pamela to any blasted ball or anything, you hear me?" his anger was rising.

"Why?" He asked quietly.

Devlin clenched his jaw. "Just because."

"Aww come on Dev, you can't be serious."

"I am."

"But why?"

"Because I said no." He stood and walked to the door with purposeful strides. He held the door open. "See yourself out."

Peter stood to face Devlin at the door. He looked angry like he would hit Devlin. But all he gave Devlin was silence. Then it seemed he changed his mind.

"Look, old man, I don't know what's got you so worked up but I want you to know that I will stop at nothing to get the love of my life back. You're a badgering bitter old sucker who's scared of falling in love or even letting any emotions in. You're a blasted sore-ass loser. I will go to church and pray you to fall in love so you'll grin like an idiot, stare at the ceiling like a fool, go to a dentist for teeth whitening –" He cut off and leaned close to whisper ferociously. "then, you'll have a fight – which comes so easily with your grumpy attitude, and she'll step on your heart and crush it!"

Devlin wished to hell Peter had stuck with silence. His words hit too close to home.

Peter walked out the door, shouting curses and invectives. Seconds later, the front door slammed shut. The impact was so great that windows rattled.

Devlin winced at the sound. He hated misunderstandings with Peter. But he didn't care. Not this time, and not on this subject. He couldn't let Pamela escort him to some shady ball where her life could be in danger. It was his job to keep her safe and he would keep her under lock and key if need be. He had to make sure she was safe from danger.

He wanted to pick up his phone and call his boys, to know if she was safe, but he resisted the urge. He didn't want to seem like a starry-eyed bimbo in love - and he wasn't. Besides, he had no doubt she was in his safe house, duly protected and safe from any danger that could crush his heart.

~

"Thank you." Pamela smiled and said to the lady that had brought her a drink.

She took a sip and sighed contently as she sat in the conference room that had been turned into a get-together venue. She addressed her new employees and got acquainted with them over wine and little cookies that had been made available for the sudden party that Marcel had declared in her honor.

She should have been mortified, angry, or upset with him but she had let him have his way. She was just glad to be away from Devlin's lair. Bob was still with her, though, he stood behind her and escorted her wherever she went, and that only served to remind her that Devin's power over her was indelible.

The fact that Bob had been following her had piqued her though, but she had to cut the poor guy some slack, he had no choice. He'd left her alone though when she'd asked for privacy to be in her father's office alone.