(21) Passionately Locking Lips.

That did it. Pamela couldn't take it anymore. She stood and moved to where he sat. "You don't mean that. I'm sorry I said all those. I didn't mean it to, you know. I was just pissed."

"I do that a lot you know," He dropped his glass and grabbed the bottle. "I piss people off." He took a hearty swig of the whisky.

The mere smell of the drink made Pamela want to gag but she endured. "You're not a bad person Devlin. Yes, I don't approve of what you did today and sometimes your ways aren't exactly, well, noble but you can always change."

He raised one of his brows. "Really? My sins would sound great in confession." He gave a bitter laugh. "What you don't know is, I could never change because I'm the devil. I'm always going to be evil."

"No, you're not!" She snapped. He raised one brow in amusement and Pamela had to stifle the urge to yank it back down. Arrogant and sexy bastard. "Don't say that to yourself." She said quietly.

"There is no hope for me." He said, sighing in resignation.

"Well hurray for you. You've made a lifelong commitment to despair." She said sarcastically then sighed. His words were tearing at her heart. "Devlin, you shouldn't say that," she said softly and placed a hand on his thigh. The look he gave her made her snatch her hand back like she'd touched a hot kettle.

He had given her a look of pure longing.

He kept looking at her with that sensation in his eyes that she became uncomfortable.

"You're sweet, Pamela." He said his voice husky and just above a whisper. You're my –"

"Antidote, yeah you told me that before. That line has gotten kinda old." She smiled in amusement.

He scowled at her.

"What?"

"No one, no one –"

"Interrupts your speech, yeah I know that. Old too." She grinned at him. She didn't know what possessed her to be bold and free with him tonight but she was grateful to that unknown force.

His scowl got darker. He placed the whiskey bottle on the center table with a resounding thud.

Pamela grimaced at the sound. The man had flunked sensitivity training. She cocked her head to the side. "Being a grumpy bear, are we?"

He relaxed in the easy chair, his scowl gone, replaced by amusement. "Bear's not exactly the animal you could describe me as."

"Hmm, Stallion, then?"

His brows creased as if he was giving her words a thought. "You're a bit off course. I'm more like a goat."

"What?" Pamela burst into fits of laughter. She laughed so hard that she fell on the soft carpet. She kept laughing so much so that tears fell from her eyes. She clutched her stomach to prevent it from bursting. She sat back down, took a look at his confused face, and burst into laughter again.

"A goat?! You're kidding, right? You can't be serious!" She laughed harder then choked on it and sobered when she saw he was scowling. "Oh my God, you're serious."

"I am." He said still scowling.

"Really? Care to shed more light on that? " She used her sleeve to wipe her tears.

"Greatest Of All Time. G. O. A. T."

"Oh." She was amused and impressed by what he said. "But then, I said animal, not acronym. I can't imagine describing myself as an actual goat."

He shrugged indifferently, then she saw the corners of his mouth lift in a failed attempt to hide his smile. Soon he burst out laughing and Pamela joined him. They laughed for almost a minute before they sobered.