Chapter 15

Afaaf Zaryaab Khan

Afaaf Zaryaab Khan

I saw the woman pack, her hands shaky, as she folded her clothes and dumped them in her duffel bag. I stood in the corner, clenching and unclenching my fingers.

" Amma, can we not go with you?" Shaya asked timidly swallowing back her tears.

Our mother glanced at her and then at me.

" Sweetheart, you cannot. You both know that your exams are just around and then who will look after Abba and the house if we all go." She said yet the shiver in her voice was not unnoticed.

" Amma, but we don't want to stay here all alone." Shaya said voicing her fear as she gripped our mother's hand.

I stood silent, knowing all too well that it was useless.

" Girls, it's only for a week. Your father's sister is very ill and I'll have to go Quetta. She will be needing my help."

" Amma, but baba-"

" Your daughters aren't leaving your side today." A voice boomed and I glanced up at my father.

Amma stiffened but nonetheless smiled.

" They are just being-" Abba cut off Amma and took her duffel bag muttering that it was time to leave.

I had clutched to Amma a little harder as she embraced but I did not speak. Not did I cry like Shaya. I was Shaya's strength and if she saw me crying she'd only break more.

That night we slept in restlessness without Amma being in the house. The next day went by as usual and Abba did not bother to say anything to us. But as the sky darkened and night came upon us bringing worry and nothing else to our shivering forms.

I never understood why Abba was always so persistent in sending Amma away. We hated it Amma went away from us, probably because our father never showed affection towards us or maybe because we were never comfortable with him.

Abba had left for somewhere after dinner and Shaya cleaned the kitchen with me. Occasionally talking here and there. We climbed up the stairs, switching off the lights on our way ready to go to bed.

" Shaya, keep your books away." I slightly scolded my younger sister seeing her books all over the bed.

The door bell rang and we froze.

" Stay here." I instructed Shaya as she moved towards the bedroom door.

" It must be Abba." She said as a matter of fact.

I glanced at the clock seeing it nearing midnight.

" Abba has the keys." I said before reaching towards my yellow duppatta.