Chapter 33

کن کن بلندیوں کی تمنا تھی عشق میں، طے ہوسکا نہ ایک بھی زینہ ترے بغیر، تُو آشنائے شدّتِ غم ہو تو کچھ کہوں،کتنا بڑا عذاب ہے جینا ترے بغیر۔Afaaf

طے ہوسکا نہ ایک بھی زینہ ترے بغیر،
تُو آشنائے شدّتِ غم ہو تو کچھ کہوں،
کتنا بڑا عذاب ہے جینا ترے بغیر۔
Afaaf

Clenching my jaw tightly, I resisted the urge to walk out of the room and never return back. Seeing the man gaze at me with a look that wanted me to puke my guts out. Disgust coiling around my neck like a snake.

Officer Saim sat arrogantly besides my father. His dark eyes trained on me and his moustaches standing out against his face. And his gaze on me was like a predator's gaze on its prey. Paying no attention to the man besides him. Abba was busy talking about something I was completely unaware about.

And I couldn't understand what spell the other man had done upon him, that he was seconds away from bowing before officer Saim.

" How are you, Afaaf?" The audacity of the man to ask me before my father.

I ignored the question completely. Abba faked a small cough and glared my way but I did not pay any heed to it as well.

" It must be very hard for you, adjusting back in life here. I am sure you're glad that you are back. God knows what that man could have done to you!" The fake worry in his voice made me want to smack him.

My eyebrows furrowed and I scowled internally.

" Excuse me!" I spoke in a low voice before getting up from the sofa.

" Afaaf, sit down! He's not finished yet." Abba's voice tore me to no ends.

Making me still in my steps and I turned back to sit down. Only for the sake of respect I had for my father.

" For your kind information, I am not at all happy to be back. I was very much happy the way, that man had kept me." I said meeting the man's eyes. Officer Saim's features turned red and he clenched his jaw. Sitting straighter, he leaned forward. His elbows resting on his knees as he rubbed a hand down his face.

" It's a shame that you disrespected your father infront of the world. The poor man had to face insult from the society."

I bit my bottom lip. I wanted to pull my hair strands. His words had made me silent but I hadn't lost the fight. And instead I distracted myself looking at my mother.

Seeing the woman almost shrinking in the sofa besides me. And the reality downed on me heavily. That my parents would have faced the society. My Abba would have heard taunts and mocks of people. He would have been insulted. But-

But if someone would want to trade the past months of my life for all the respect, I wouldn't do it. The past months was the life that I actually saw. And this was reality what I was facing now.

" I'll walk you to the door." The men stood up. And then shortly walked out of the door making relief wash over me.

Amma too walked out silently, leaving me to my thoughts. I closed my eyes for a brief second and the change in air made me tense. A short gasp left my lips as out of nowhere, officer Saim gripped my jaw tightly between his fingers.