Epilogue

Afaaf

Afaaf

The once snow capped mountains had dropped their curtains of white and shrugged on the greens of leaves and spikes of thick velvety grass. And the resilient golden rays had fought with the thick grey clouds and coped with the fluffs of blue and white and covered the vast sky with hues of wealthy nature.

Birds of all kinds flew across the sky, soaring high with open thick feathers. Enjoying the new freedom that tickled their small bodies in the frenzy wind. The gloomy leaves had shed the snow off their curbs and the flowers had started to look up at the sky in wondrous manner. The tiny buds had opened their petal and swayed in luscious dance. Growing into fresh smiling flowers.

Gardens had grown back with the spring season on peak. Meadows and orchards growing vastly. It wasn't the soft folk music from high up the mountains that pulled people out of their warm huts but the singing of birds and swishing of flowers that complimented with the folk music. Making it irresistible for people to stay put in the spring wind.

The Alam Khan white haveli was buzzing with chirps as well on this fine late afternoon. The once flaky garden of white had now cleared out with colourful flowers and big stemmed red and peach blossoming roses. Dadi Gul Jan and Norie were on their toes preparing the treats for the family while I was left out - the only task given to me was to serve and enjoy. However that wasn't what I wanted to do but nonetheless I did not speak before Dadi Gul Jan.

Her pepper grey hair were pinned in a tight and neat bun on the nape of her neck. A crisp tailored lavender suit adorned by her small frame. Her ageing had caused a slight hump on her upper back but she was as fit as always. Doing everything with her own hands. The thick golden bangles clinking. She fried out another serving of wontons and my mouth watered as Norie squeezed out the home made coriander and peppermint sauce in small glass nuzzle bottles. The maids hid the treaties with the softest of white clothes before taking them out in the garden where the table was being set up.

" Afaaf, would you please taste this!" Norie asked with sparkling eyes forwarding a spoon of tamarind sauce towards me. I eagerly wiped off the sauce feeling the texture of tamarind and other spices hit my taste buds making me bubble out an approving sound.

She chuckled carrying on with arranging the fresh and hot spring rolls in a basket. I made a pout and then walked out. Making my way easily towards the doors that led to the garden. The maids were busy arranging the table and I walked to them helping them out. Within minutes Norie was rolling in a trolley with the remaining of the platters. We set up the table and arranged the glasses and the cutlery.

When all was done, I quizzically looked at the whole menu with Dadi Gul Jan as she turned to me. Home made pastries, banana bread, mini cupcakes, butter and coconut cookies, spring rolls, wontons, samosas, mince meat bread and chicken sandwiches. Juices and cutlery for tea was also set out.

" Looks great!" I complimented, side hugging the woman seeing her eyes wrinkle as she smiled. I walked her to the chairs and tables set out. Khan Dada was in a crisp white kurta shalwar, his cane lying besides him as he occupied a seat on a table in the center. In his arms was softly tucked, Mohid as the great grandfather talked to Jahan's father. My heart melted at the sight.