XXXVII

Heaving beside the colossal tree, I wished to behead myself

Heaving beside the colossal tree, I wished to behead myself. The pounding in my head seemed to be worse than the first time around. Marisole rubbed my back gently, urging me to get back up. Bile rose, but I managed to get myself together in a few minutes.

Tilting my head up to stare at the vermiculo, I sighed in relief. I was home. Maybe I wasn't at the palace, in my safe haven, but I was in my land. A land with magic.

"Welcome back," the elderly voice greeted. I stood up to see the Maior making his way back toward us. A small smile spread across his face, but most of his white beard covered it. Alas, his eyes shone all of the peace and happiness that radiated off his voice.

"Maior," Gaia addressed. "Thank you so much for your help."

"Always a pleasure, my dear." He turned to me, raising a hand to my forehead. His palm glowed golden, and the pounding of my head dissipated immediately. I was about to thank him, but he waved his hand in front of me, silencing me.

"How was your first jump, Miss Ella?" He asked.

I swallowed, dusting the grass around my knees. "Um, interesting. Earth has good pancakes," was all I could muster. The Bleeders stared at me as I fumbled, trying not to make a fool of myself.

"As much as we would like to stay and chat, Maior, we really need to get going," Herc interrupted. His voice sent chills down my spine, reminding me of his scolding.

How would he react to knowing he scolded the queen of Potentia Flamber?

"Herchael, I was having small talk with the custos. The least you could do is respect that. We are in a time of crisis and Miss Ella here is a key part of it. I must make sure she is alright."

Herc shut his mouth, before turning to me. His brown eyes bored into mine and I wished I could bury myself ten feet under. After being with them for a few days, I knew Herc did not react well to being challenged. As much as I took that as a comedic effect, being admonished by a Maior was like being slapped in the face. In other words, about a thousand times worse than my teasing.

"Now, Miss Ella, I believe you have something of mine." He held out his wrinkly hand to me. I smiled and took the medallion from the pocket of my pants, feeling the smooth circumference one last time. I placed it in his palm.

"You will go through trying times, my dear," he continued. "But you must not forget your role. Remember who you are and not what they paint you to be."

"I'll try," I whispered.

"And most importantly, remember the light." He winked at me.

I nodded, looking down at my fingers. I recalled every time I conjured up a blue flame. Darkness radiated off of me. I couldn't deny it. How could I remember the light?

"Very well," the Maior turned to the rest of the Bleeders. "Please stay out of trouble. The war is here. The land is not how you remember. Be cautious."