XLVIII

Everything happened in slow motion

Everything happened in slow motion. The protection layer disintegrated, shocking the people on their way to the palace. The palace had their doors wide open, welcoming every Flamber in sight. There was a deadly silence engulfing us all.

And then the aircrafts started shooting.

I flicked my wrist in the mother's direction and uncovered her from under the fallen piece of cement. She scrambled behind me as I ran with her child to the palace.

"Everyone get inside!" I ordered.

The fact that I was masked as Ella made no difference. They all snapped out of their shock and stumbled over each other to take cover. No one realized that the aircrafts were aiming at the palace, or maybe they did but didn't process correctly what was happening.

I was at the end of the line, dodging bullets and broken pieces of statues and pots. Some people fell as they got hit by the rain of bullets. I swallowed the lump in my throat. I buried the child's head into my chest, covering his entire body with my own. The mother followed close by.

We ran into the royal entrance. I could see my royal servants welcoming everyone, telling them to file inside. I urged the mother to run faster. She gained more speed and I passed her the child. She thanked me and made it inside.

Explosives dropped around and I jumped inside as one dropped in front of the doors.

Silence fell. The harsh breathing of every Flamber alive filled the room. I stood up, staring outside.

The aircrafts left, flying away from Potentia Flamber. My brows furrowed. I stepped closer to the entrance. I waited for something to jump out and kill us all. Instead, a whistling caught my attention.

I lifted my head up to where the aircrafts used to be. A small object darted through the sky, directed to us. The outside glowed. I gulped knowing it was charged with a great deal of magic, and it was coming to us.

"Close the doors!" The royal servants stared at me before realization hit. They scrambled to do as ordered.

The whistling became louder.

My hands trembled.

"If power gets into the wrong hands, it will be like the Tenebris Aetas."

"A good queen does everything for her people, her living people."

"You must not forget your role. Remember who you are and not what they paint you to be."

The whistling was closer than ever.

"Everyone, take cover!" I yelled. People scrambled about, ducking under tables, enormous flower pots, and statues. I stayed right in the center, waiting.

"Ella, what are you doing?" Herc called out.

My royal servants all turned to him, brows furrowed and eyes narrowed.