LXV

Everything swayed from side to side for what felt like an eternity as I cowered in the corner

Everything swayed from side to side for what felt like an eternity as I cowered in the corner. My head was buried in my knees. For a second, I believed I wouldn't make it home to see my family or see the vermiculo again for that matter.

I was having that thought on way too many occasions now. After confronting Antonella and even those people who were at the Flamber palace that stopped my advances to seize the Inlustris. I was in too many dangerous situations that could cost my life. Inferos, I was almost burned with dark magic.

The thought of King Rasmus wielding that type of magic too baffled me. But I couldn't fight him. He was more powerful, had more influence, and more resources. If I went against him, he'd eliminate me in a snap. Similarly to how Antonella almost burned me.

I shuddered. I needed to get out of Fortis Crystallum. Inferos, I needed to get out of Caeleste. If Antonella looked for me, I would be dead.

Who knew that delicate girl could fight?

Tears welled up in my eyes in pent up frustration. Everything had gone downhill in the most disturbing way possible.

Finally finding the courage to lift my head up, I gasped at the sight in front of me.

Every piece of furniture had fallen apart due to the winds. The table, seats, books, scrolls, and the glasses of vinum lied about as if a storm had happened inside the room. The chandelier had fallen amidst all the chaos, which added to all the glass shards on the floors.

Scattered across the room were the bodies of all my allies: Prince Linus, King Davian, and King Oskar. They all had the same arrow stuck to their chests and a similar trail of blood coming out of their lips.

Everyone was there except King Rasmus.

I stood up in a haste. I couldn't stay here any longer. I needed to get out of here before they realized they missed a mark, or worse, King Rasmus himself eliminated me. I wondered where he took off, but I realized I didn't care.

Tiptoeing around the door, I finally made it to the gold double doors. My hand twisted the door knob. I could taste freedom as the door eased open. But I was thrown back by a group of people bursting through.

They stood by the exit, looking over the scene and then fixing their stares on me. They all wore fancy suits, even the woman at the front. Menace laced their gazes. I gulped and scrambled to my feet.

"Are you here for the kings?" I found myself asking. The woman raised a brow and took a step in my direction.

"No, we're here for you." The woman smiled.

The men all surrounded me and uncovered weapons I wasn't aware of.

"Whoa, I don't understand," I faltered, hands up in front of me. At this moment, I wished I had the same abilities as Antonella. I could've easily swished a hand like she always did, and get them away from me. Instead, I was overpowered by whoever these people were.

"You are the traitor of Inlustris, no?" She cocked her head to the side. My face reddened as I realized they worked for Antonella.

They found their last mark.

"Um...I, uh," I stammered.

"Save it, Prince," one man said. He took out a long piece of rope.

A blue-eyed man took a fallen chair and set it up beside them.

From the behind the group, a flicker of movement caught my attention. I almost jumped in excitement as Queen Talia appeared in the doorway. She wore her crown high on her head, a shimmering white gown, and white pearls around her neck. Elegant as ever. She sized up the group before me, and then stared at her dead son.

Not one tear fell from her eyes.

"Take him," she commanded once she laid eyes on me.

"Your Majesty," I cried. She raised a gloved hand, successfully shutting me up.

"Make sure Queen Antonella receives him. I'm sure she has a plan for him once she defeats my husband." She smirked my way and left the room, sashaying her hips as she went.

The group all grinned as they put their whole focus on me.

"This is going to hurt," one promised. I didn't have a chance to react when the woman punched me in the face.