17 ⚔️ The Light in Her Darkness

- Xiaoyu -

The world was despicable to her.

They took away her family, her home, everything.

What was left in life for her then?

Whilst everyone cursed her existence, her mother carried on loving her. She used to call Xiaoyu, 'My White Lilac', saying that she was so child-like and innocent. It was true that her daughter was born with terrifying powers as what the prophecy had foretold, but she always knew that her little girl's heart was as pure as a dove.

Now that her mother had passed away, how would a flower survive without water and sunshine? How was Xiaoyu supposed to live on when she was the sole reason everybody else was dead?

In the end, what the prophecy had said turned out to be the truth.

She was an abomination.

Guilt ripped her apart from the inside. The pain of losing everyone she loved was unbearable. Ever since the catastrophe, she had lost the meaning to live. The screams in her head refused to go away and she lost her grip on the last shreds of her sanity.

In her final moment, she wanted to stop the pain so desperately that she decided to freeze her heart, mind and body. She hurled herself down into the depths of the dark abyss, closed her eyes to shut the world out, in hopes of never seeing the light again.

Without her existence, the world would continue living on peacefully.

There would no longer be screams of the dead. No more bloodshed.

Just peace and silence.

She didn't know how long she remained like that; hovering in the veil between the worlds of life and death. But she was content. Here, there was nothing for her to fear and nobody to give her looks of hatred.

But her solitude broke one day, when she heard a voice calling for her from somewhere far away.

Someone was trying to wake her from her peaceful slumber.

The voice was like a ship pulling an anchor. Tugging her forcefully. Pulling her back to the nightmares she had run away from. The closer she got to the surface, the screams began pouring back into her head again. Louder and louder. When she tried to resist the pull, a hand reached through the darkness for her.

And that's when she felt it – warmth.

In that fleeting moment, everything else ceased to exist. Somehow, the raging turmoil in her head cleared and the hand grasping hers was rather comforting.

Before she knew it, the warmth disappeared and she woke up.

Realising that the magical seal was broken, she started panicking. The horrifying memories once again invaded her mind without her permission.

She wasn't supposed to be freed, but somehow she was. When she started hearing voices from the outside, she froze in fear.

It was faint, but she was definitely hearing approaching voices of foreign people on this godforsaken island.

And they were looking for her.

Her first instinct was to run out of her hideaway. She couldn't stay in one place lest she wanted them to discover her. Streaking through the trees, she accidentally stumbled upon an unfamiliar boy, who was wearing an outlandish uniform that she didn't recognise.