54 ⚔️ Living the Moment

A week had passed without any life-threatening disturbances. It was the best thing Xiaoyu could ever wish for – to lead a normal life.

Throughout her stay at her sister's place, she was slowly adapting to their way of life. Apparently, the people in this village helped one another out to preserve their lives in this village. Be it working in the fields, fishing, rearing animals or guarding the borders, everyone played a part.

Today, Xiaoyu was hanging the laundry at the front of the house. Her sister had left minutes ago to pick up some fruits and vegetables from the fields.

As for Zhijian, he had gone with Jiang Yuhan to clear the small demons lurking around the village. When the village leader heard about his experience of fighting demons, he immediately returned his sword and got him to join their ranks. Ever since then, they would be out working during the day and returning home late in the evening.

A ripple of laughter could be heard from the outside. Once again, Jiang Ming brought his friends home.

Xiaoyu turned to meet their eager faces, giving each of them a friendly smile. The oldest of the group, Xiuming, stepped forward to take the washed quilts from her hands.

"Here, let me do it," he offered. "The laundry lining is too high for you."

Xiaoyu nodded gratefully, watching as he hung them up for her. He was a tall, lanky boy who was apparently the same age as her. With a friendly, lopsided smile, he had an endearing, boyish face that naturally drew people in. Ever since they met, he treated her with nothing but kindness.

When the last quilt was hung, he wiped his hands on the front of his pants before turning to her with a beam. "What other chores do you still have? I'll help."

She shook her head, realising that the rest of the boys had disappeared. Xiuming strolled back to the stack of wooden crates sitting by the gate, where a bunch of daisies had mysteriously appeared on it. He grabbed them and handed them to her.

"These are for you. I saw them when I was out in the fields today and thought of you immediately."

Xiaoyu was stunned. She didn't know what she should do, but with the way he was grinning at her innocently, she found it hard to turn him down. In the end, she accepted the flowers, but with a rather awkward smile.

There was a faint blush on his cheeks. "Do you..." he said nervously, "do you want to go on a walk with me for a little while?"

Oh no.

This boy grew feelings for her, didn't he?

She swallowed hard. Taking his hand, she started tracing words on his calloused palm.

"I have a lover."

When she glanced up, she found his smile faded and his face fell in disappointment. "I know," he admitted. "It's the guy that has been hovering by your side, isn't it? Jiang Ming said that you guys aren't married, so there's still a chance for me."

For every step he took towards her, she took one step backwards warily. Away from him. They continued until she was backed up against the exterior wall of the hut. Her heart thudded nervously at his advance, not because of anticipation, but she was afraid of him.

He placed his hand on her arm. "Please? Won't you at least give me a chance? I promise to be better than him."

Her eyes avoided him, her head already shaking. There was nobody else she ever wanted, except him.

"I'm aware that we only know each other for a few days, but I really like you. It doesn't matter if you're mute, there's just something about you–"

A voice with a dangerous edge cuts Xiuming off. "What's going on?"