41 ⚔️ The Escape

"You were right when you said we have to get the Demoness out."

Zhijian glanced at Jiang Ziyi, watching the way her face paled in terror. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know how to explain this," she shuddered involuntarily. "But earlier this morning, I overheard my father and brother discussing the domination of the clans through the use of her powers. What happened earlier in the hall was just a trial. Since everything went well, it won't be long before they start going after everybody else."

He tightened his grip on his sword until his knuckles turned white. "It's not right. Manipulating people's lives for their own greed and power is atrocious."

"I agree. We may share the same blood, but I'm not blind."

She glanced over to him, cocking her head as she studied him with curiosity.

"This is baffling," she remarked, unable to mask her surprise. "The Demoness could manipulate everyone except you. How are you not affected by her influence?"

Even Zhijian was clueless as well. "I don't know."

A part of him had dared to hope that it was the work of the Red String of Fate. It was the only plausible reason that he could think of that might explain why he was unaffected by Xiaoyu's ability.

But hadn't their soulmate connection been severed?

Jiang Ziyi skidded to a stop, peering around the corner to check for any clansman. After making sure that their coast was clear, she quickened her pace and crossed from one building to the other.

"Come on," she urged. There was a troubled look in her eyes. "We don't have much time."

Instead of heading towards the burial grounds, they entered another section of the Jiang residence – a place where Zhijian had never entered before.

"Where are we going? Where is she?"

Jiang Ziyi narrowed her eyes darkly. "She's not at the catacomb. After you left the hall, my brother took her away."

"What?" His jaw clenched tight. "Aren't you supposed to watch over her?"

She shot him a pointed look. "Yes, but I had to leave for a while. For this. By getting you guys out, I hope I won't get myself in deep trouble."

"I'm sorry," he said less harshly with a hint of apology in his voice. "So, what did you do?"

There was a bitter smile on her lips. "You'll see."

The shadows of the night played a part in concealing their presences. As they snuck past a few guards and scoured along the walls, they eventually ended up outside someone's lavish bedchamber.

A dark expression crossed his face. "Jiang Yifeng brought her to his room?"

With a grim look, Jiang Ziyi nodded her head once. "You have to go in and get her out. I can't be seen with you. Knock my brother out or something–"

Before she could even finish her sentence, Zhijian was already gone.

With swift but quiet steps, he pushed the door open and slipped into the opulent bedroom. Ornaments filled the tables and expensive landscape paintings decorated the walls. There was a screen partition that separated the bed from the rest of the room, where he found his target.

Just like he suspected, Jiang Yifeng was trying to take advantage of his soulmate.

She was lying on his bed, vulnerable and asleep. The twisted man hovered above her sleeping form, his fingers brushing across her cheek. His eyes raked over her lewdly, sweeping up and down her body.