30 ⚔️ A Reminder

As if the week couldn't get any worse, Leader Xu came knocking on her door late one evening.

As expected of a clan leader, the formidable aura surrounding him was overwhelming. The moment he crossed the threshold of her room, the temperature dropped by a few degrees and his piercing gaze sent a shudder through her body.

He had intentionally looked for her at this hour, knowing that Zhijian was out on a short mission.

What did he want with her?

Leader Xu addressed her slowly. "Demoness, can I have a word with you?"

Xiaoyu bit her bottom lip nervously. Honestly, did she even have a choice?

She nodded once and gestured for him to take a seat. Once he was settled, she took a seat across from him. Her cautious eyes watched him warily, noting the grim expression he was wearing was somewhat foreboding.

One could tell that he was hesitating on how he should start the conversation. "How have you...been faring?"

She picked up a brush and dipped it in ink, writing down her response. 

"I'm doing well."

"Hm." He studied her for a few moments. "I'm relieved to see that you haven't raised any troubles. Most of our prisoners are always a handful to deal with."

Clasping his hands together, he kept his hard gaze on her with his jaw set. He was about to go straight to the point.

"Putting that aside, I hope you understand the reason you're still kept alive. You should cherish these peaceful days that you have been given. After all, they won't last forever – at least until we find a cure for Zhijian's deadly fevers. When that happens, you'll be facing the consequences of your crimes."

It seemed like everyone was hell bent on giving her a piece of their minds recently. Leader Xu was telling her off just like how his niece did, except his tone wasn't as harsh. 

But that didn't mean his words hadn't struck her hard.

Squirming uncomfortably, Xiaoyu chewed the insides of her cheek and her eyes dropped to her hands that were resting on her lap. Deep down in her heart, she always knew that the day where she would receive her punishment would eventually come and she was certain that she would be prepared for it.

But why was her resolve faltering?

Leader Xu cleared his throat and continued on. "I have noticed how my son is...warming up to you recently. I may be a leader, but I'm also his father. I'm concerned for his wellbeing and safety. I believe you understand what I'm trying to tell you. Yes?"

She did. In fact, she understood where he was coming from.

In other words, he was telling her to keep her distance from Zhijian and not sway his feelings. Complicating things would only make it harder for them to go their separate ways when the time comes.

She knew and understood Leader Xu's intentions, but why did her heart have to ache so badly just thinking about it?

As Leader Xu waited for her answer, she almost wanted to tell him that she had already failed her part in falling in love with his son. How could she not, especially when Zhijian was the one that saved her from the darkness?

The old man raised a brow at her expectantly. "Well?"

Her breath stalled. After several seconds of thinking, she eventually nodded.