25 ⚔️ Marketplace

It seemed like Zhijian's intention of bringing Xiaoyu into the market wasn't simply just for her sake. After the terrifying ordeal that his little brother had experienced, he wanted to take him out for a meal and he knew that the boy would very much enjoy Xiaoyu's company.

Donned in an azure blue cape, she was told to wait in the courtyard for the brothers. A streak of something small and white ran towards her before she felt a pair of hands going around her legs.

"Princess!" Zhixuan exclaimed, his eyes shining brightly. "I miss you!"

She smiled back at him warmly and ruffled his hair playfully. How could she possibly resist such an endearing child?

Standing a few feet away, Zhijian stood with his hand hanging awkwardly in the air where he had been holding his brother's hand a second ago. He dropped his hand and cleared his throat, unable to hide his disappointment.

"Really? Seeing a beautiful girl is what it takes to forget all about your brother?" he muttered sourly under his breath. Much to his chagrin, no one seemed to pay any attention to him anymore.

"Oh no, Zhijian!" Jinlong's sudden appearance startled them all. He threw his arm over Zhijian's shoulders. "Did you already lose your spot to the Demoness? Gosh, you really need to work harder on your role as a brother."

His words were putting salt on his wounds and the now sulking boy jabbed his best friend in the ribs roughly. "What're you doing here? I don't recall inviting you along."

"I know, I invited myself." Jinlong grinned widely. "You should be glad that I'm coming, you know, just in case you might decide to have a one-to-one date with your soulmate and I can help to keep your brother away. Honestly, I can't believe you're this shy of a boy and have to drag your brother along."

"That isn't what I'm planning to do!"

Jinlong merely patted his shoulder. "It's alright, my man. I understand how bashful this is for you – it's your first time courting a girl after all."

Zhijian shot his most annoyed glare in his friend's direction. "Say one more word and you'll find yourself in that pond back there," he jabbed a thumb behind them.

"Ah, no thank you." Jinlong stepped away from him and fled to where Xiaoyu and Zhixuan stood. "Come on, children. Let's go eat at the Qingpeng Tavern for lunch. My treat."

However, Zhixuan frowned at his words. "Isn't that your mother's inn? You always get free meals there."

"Hush, boy. You're speaking to the future owner of the Qingpeng Tavern. Just take it that you're receiving a free meal from me in advance."

Zhixuan scratched his head in confusion and turned to his older brother instead. "Brother, I think he's drunk. He's talking funny."

"Hey! I'm not!"

Ignoring Jinlong's protest, Zhijian answered in a deadpan manner.  "Yes, he is. Do you want me to get rid of him for you?"

"Yes, how about we feed him to the Grandma Ghost?" Zhixuan suggested with a cheeky grin. Everybody knew that the captured demon was now imprisoned in the dungeon. "I think she would be very happy to have him for a meal."

Jinlong cut in once again, flailing his hands wildly. "In case you guys are blind, I'm standing here and hearing you guys! The Grandma Ghost doesn't deserve a handsome lad like me – hey!"

To his dismay, his words fell on deaf ears as the others left him behind.

When the group arrived at the market, Xiaoyu's eyes widened. She was wonderstruck by the numerous shophouses that lined up the lively streets. The mass of people bustling about the place was astounding. She was so caught up in studying them and the buildings that she was lagging behind the other boys.