Underrated Characters

Steve Randle: 

Steve Randle: 

For one Steve isn't the bad person that people make him out to be. Yes he did ask for Ponyboy not to tag along when he wanted to hangout with Soda and their girlfriends. Imagine your friends little brother kept tagging along when you wanted to be doing more grown up things? Secondly, he actually cares for everyone in the gang. If he didn't he wouldn't have fought off the socs that jumped Ponyboy then try to knock some sense into him for walking home alone. 

Steve and Pony have their differences but there is no doubt that Steve would murder someone to keep Ponyboy safe. Steve also isn't dumb, he knows what is up. He can see that Ponyboy is in fact irritating at times. Which can only be expected from a fourteen year old kid. 

I feel like Steve could go places in life. He has a bad home life but is brighter than people make him out to be. He is seriously talented with cars. He is still in school at seventeen which is a great achievement for a greaser kid in that neighbourhood. There isn't any noting that he is behind or anything. S.E Hinton notes him as smart. 

Two-bit Mathews:

Overall Two-bit is one of the most overlooked and dismissed characters in book and film. He is shown as an immature, drunk idiot who has a knack for stealing but he is sooo much more than that. Besides his humour and good looks, he can be very mature when needed.

He paid for everyone's popcorn and cokes at the drive in. He even paid for the soc girls. He didn't even mind that they were socs. He paid for Ponyboy's bus fare and even took him to go see Dallas and Johnny. He gave Dallas his prized switch blade. 

He was willing to go all the way to Texas to find Ponyboy and Johnny after they went missing! that is huge. He didn't even have a proper running car and was willing to do that just to find them. 

He stuck up for Darry and recognised his hard work to keep the house running. He also stuck up for Johnny when Ponyboy was being an immature little tart and bringing up Johnny's bad home life in front of Cherry. 

He goes what makes him happy. He loves Mickey Mouse which is so adorable. He wanted to take care of Ponyboy so that Darry didn't have to miss a day of work, when he could've been out doing something else. He got himself and Ponyboy into Johnny's room.

HE GOT MAD AND TOLD OFF JOHNNY'S PATHETIC MOTHER.