Chapter 20

Word spread like fire throughout the kingdom of the actions of Lady Artemis. The people were telling tales of her beauty and her strength. Rumors were already circulating since the prince's arrival in the village with a not so normal companion. The wolf however never showed any aggression towards the villagers which was unlike all they learned of the species. All were wanting to see the young goddess who spoke kindly of them. 

Princess' Lena's exit from the kingdom was anything but poised. She showed her ill temperament and disrespect all the way out. Her adviser apologizing profusely to the The guards had to accompany to her chariot. Her final words before leaving was a promise of a return. 

With the unwanted visitor's departure, Caspian was elated to no longer worry about her presence. The king and queen also seemed to breathe easier with the princess safely on her way home and away from them. 

The king has decided with Caspian's intentions made public it was time for them to introduce their future queen to the kingdom. The queen was overjoyed with the news along with a joyful prince. Artemis, on the other hand, was extremely nervous. She has never spoken to others prior to their visit into the castle... and that was more a necessity for survival. Artemis was feeling overwhelmed and requested some time to herself. Now she is sitting in the maze of a garden trying to relax her mind and let her feelings be settled. 

Caspian was reluctant to let her be alone fearful of her ability to disappear so now he watches her from the back entrance as he paces back and forth. His eyes constantly returning to the cloaked figure whose back is to him. Navene sitting on the floor with the wolves behind him. His eyes closed as well. Caspian doesn't even realize the young man looking just like the beauty at side. The wolves eyes following the pacing love struck prince from side to side. 

"Son, you will create a rut in the floor if you continue." 

Caspian stops and looks to his father who is standing back just looking at him. Caspian glances back outside to see her figure has not moved. His father silently walking up to him placing a hand on his shoulder. They both look outside as Artemis continues letting her mind wander throughout the forest beyond the gardens. 

"I am scared." 

"I don't believe you have reason to be." Caspian looks to his dad who attention turns to the wolves and the young man still sitting on the floor with his eyes closed. "She would never leave them... nor would she leave you." 

Caspian nods his head thoughtfully before looking at Navene. He studies the young man before looking back outside to the figure still sitting on the rock bench. His father's gaze following his son's as he looks back and forth between the two. 

"She is quite extraordinary is she not? She is unlike anything I have ever encountered. I am mesmerized by not only her beauty but her unique personality." 

"And I'm am sure her rare abilities are not appealing to you?"

"I wouldn't care if she could ever heal another or speak to any animals. She would still be the Artemis I have come to love." 

The king smiles gently nodding before glancing back down to Navene. 

"Do think he has the same abilities?"

"No, only Artemis can communicate with each species. She has to create a bond with each before she is able to speak to them through their mind." 

The king raises a brow at his son. "May I ask, how you have come to learn this." 

Caspian's eyes go comically wider not realizing he had said more than he meant to. His hands begin to sweat and his face pales. His father knows his son has learned more of Artemis but is not ready to share. He looks back outside to see Artemis has turned her head slightly. Caspian follows looking outside.