43

^^ Empyrean ^^

My hands moved smoothly despite my lethargy, holding the welding torch and welding mask in front of my face as I repaired the damage to my Ship from the battle that I'd brought her into yesterday; there had been quite a bit of damage, and I was nearly finished after working for the rest of that day and this morning since about 6AM.

"Hey, Sam! I see sparks down there, is that you or one of your Robits?" Kenny called down the side of the ship.

I turned off the torch, removing the small Fire Crystal that was powering the flames, and leaned away from the ship, just barely into his line of sight. "It's me! What's up?"

"Buncha screens just appeared in the Lower Deck, but they're asking for you to log in? People are getting restless!" He pointed over his shoulder awkwardly, leaning away from the edge as soon as he was done speaking. He didn't like Heights, I had learned, which was a reasonable fear.

I stored my tools away and walked along the side of the ship, using the Spider-Queen's Boots to simply stick to the surface casually, until I reached the Viewing Deck, opening the door on the outside and stepping in calmly while ignoring the people staring at me in confusion. "Don't worry, everyone, I'll have it fixed in a moment!" I called out, and touched one of the screens. 'CMFaraway, Samantha Bordeaux reporting for duty on People-Watching for the New-Years Event? How do I log in?' -Captain-Bordeaux.

'Hey, it's been a bit, huh? Yeah, I'll get it, don't worry!' -CMFaraway.

The screen blinked on, then all the others in a rippling pattern, and there was a cheer from the rooms as everyone could now see three crowds of Players, all Level 50-75, some of the biggest and baddest players in the game... though not as many as there would have been yesterday, given that my ship and my Crew had managed to drive 50 different Players for the enemy Guilds down from 50-40 or 45-35 before they'd logged out, as well as burning the whole web of Docks under the city down to the water-level, which had been incredibly fun.

The structures had been repaired before morning by the NPC's, but the ships were all gone, trashed and dragged off into my Dungeon as Loot, where I had placed them all around my island as little sunken ships with some treasure in them, guarded by my Elemental Biters, Water Elementals, and Water-Dragons. I would spread them out even further as I went, but I needed to buy new space soon or it would be ridiculous.

"Greetings, Heroes and Villains, Casuals and Professionals, and Welcome to this year's extraordinarily exciting New Years Event!!!" The GM appeared with a clap of thunder, his arms wide open and welcoming as he hovered over the clearing the adventurers stood in.

"Bets are now open!!!" I clapped once, speaking in a calm tone that carried over the crowd nonetheless, and the Gambling Hall and Dining Hall began chattering with noise, while the Parlor remained politely dim with casual conversation amongst the patrons.

"See you in a bit!" Kenny, Uric, and Hellen went into the Dining Hall to enjoy the festivities like it was a Superbowl, which I did not begrudge them, while Jack stayed with me in the Parlor, sitting across from Mr. Tangent, who had come to watch at my invitation.

"Cider or Mead?" I asked the two of them, raising a finger to the Bartender; the automata, -who was busily making drinks for the two crewman I'd given to him as waiters to carry into the Gambling Hall and Dining Hall for the Event,- immediately turned towards me, his pour uninterrupted.

"Peach Cider for me, if you have it." Tangent smiled, before returning to eying the screens to find the one he liked best.

"Mead for me." Jack smiled, watching the 32 members of the Grey Superbia Guild as they huddled up with the other Grey Faction members, speaking of strategy, no doubt, though we couldn't hear it. Only the GM's voice came through the Screens, so we couldn't really be sure.