Phenomenal: Twenty Five

Last day in the hospital

It's my last day in the hospital, that's what I wanted to call it. Though I'm pretty sure I'd be coming back. Shane's talking with Mom at her clinic. I'm wearing a dress and my converse shoes, bags already packed and on the bed.

Iñigo and Mamala were here earlier. They've been surprised by my sudden decision to go on a road trip days before, but they understood. Nothing will change if I stay here. This isn't living... it's waiting for death, and as much as the realization hurts, I wanted to be outside, to feel, to see, to live for the last time.

"Are you going to be okay?" asked Mamala before they leave for Iñigo's class.

"I will be," ngiti ko, then she hugged me tightly against the soft, fragrant fabric of her dress.

"Hey, my best bro," I told Iñigo who's watching me, standing near my bed, arms crossed against his chest.

"Hindi ako magaalala kasi si Kuya Shane ang kasama mo."

Natawa ako. "Of course you won't. You two share the same brain cells."

Sumimangot siya. I ruffled his short hair. "I'll see you soon."

Tumahimik siya bago muling nagsalita. "Magiging masaya ka ba?"

I smiled at my brother. "Masaya ako."

Then they left, and I stood in front of the mirror, staring at myself for what seems like the first time in a long time. I traced my face with a bruised hand and smile.

"You've done well, Gabriel," I whispered to myself. "Thank you for making it this far."

With all the things that happened, it feels like I recognized everyone's feelings but my own, and to see myself in the mirror with all the flaws and imperfection, and knowing how I've survived all these years makes me proud.

"Look who's going on a road trip." Nurse Kenth came in the room with his kits. "Ang ganda naman ng alaga ko."

I giggled and twirled in my dress in front of him. "Do I really look pretty?"

"Baka mainlove si Engineer niyan," biro niya. I laughed harder.

"This is the last one."

Inalis niya ang tube na nakakonekta sa kamay ko. I moved my hands a bit to test it. My hands are now free.

"Mamimiss kita, birthday girl."

"It's just a few days," ngiti ko.

Tinulak-tulak niya ako, nakangiti. "Now go make an adventure of a lifetime."

Pagalis ni Nurse Kenth, I waited giddily for Mom in the room. I also recheck my things just in case. Mom and Shane's been talking for thirty minutes now. Pretty sure she's reminding Shane the same things she reminded me.

Mom has been on discussion with my health care providers of my request mula noong sinabi ko ito sa kanya. There's a lot of repercussion involved, a lot of risks... that I'm willing to take.

"Gabriel?" Mom was finally at the doorway. "Everything's ready."

Kinuha ko ang gamit ko sa kama at pinuntahan siya. Niyakap ko siya nang mahigpit na kinabigla niya.

"I love you."

She stroked my hair and caressed my cheeks. "Live freely, my Gabriel."

I bit my lips and blink back tears then she released me from her grasp.

Shane's waiting for me at the hallway. It's the first time I would see him in what seems like the longest time. I miss his stupid smile. He's wearing this black shirt and olive green jacket and black jeans and his white sneakers.

I run to him and hugged him tightly.

"Hey," he chuckled, hugging me back with his broad arms.

"Let's go." I held his hand. "Let's run!" I said, laughing. "Hurry, the road is waiting."

Both of us were laughing as we run out of the hospital hallways. Me, leading the way and Shane, smiling at me with those familiar brown eyes. It's been a long time since I felt it, but today the air tasted like freedom.

***

Author's Note:

Hi guys! Thank you so much for giving this story a chance, for allowing Gab and Shane to be part of your days for the last weeks or month.

Seeing and reading your feedback in this story means a lot to me and it still surprises me every time I see readers adore this story.

SP was a companion of mine during this dark times of the pandemic, having chronic illness and all. It kept me busy and helps me keep my sanity. And I hope you guys find solace in this story too, even though it's a bit painful haha

Anyways, we have five more entries before the story ends and again, thank you for loving this story as much as I do.

Please feel free to share your thoughts below (I love reading them!) or use #SomethingPhenomenal on twitter or tagging me @breatheapril

I hope you guys are safe and healthy during this hard times and may you always choose to live bravely, no matter how hard it is to stay alive.

Until the next update loves,
April