Phenomenal: Twenty Nine

Location: La Union

The rain had stopped on our way to La Union. The sun had already set behind the remaining dark clouds and the sky was a washed-off color of orange, like blanket covering the entire place.

It's already evening when we arrived at La Union and Shane and I decided to stay in one of the hostels because we're still halfway and Shane hadn't had a proper rest since we left Quezon City.

We arrived at what seems to be a hip place in La Union, just along the highway, where there are lots of hotel resorts and food hubs along the road.

We inquired at a quaint beachfront hostel with dorm type rooms. There's also some restaurants and food stalls within its vicinity and an on-going night party near the beach.

Once we confirmed our booking, Shane told me to go straight to our room so I could rest while he checks our things and park the car at the designated lot. It was almost midnight when Shane came into the room, freshly showered.

My eyes were close and he thought I was sleeping, but I was waiting for him. The noise from the party mellowed down and I could feel him watching me while sleeping. It lasted for a few minutes, then he breathes deeply, stoop down to gently kiss my forehead, before laying on the upper bed.

I woke up late the next morning. It was already noon when I step out of the room to be greeted by the sound of waves outside. The sun was high up on the clear sky and everything is in intense colors of greens and blues.

Everything was pretty much quiet after the party last night. Almost everyone was still asleep. There's this distinct laid-back feel in the air, while the locals surf the waves.

"Coffee?"

Shane approached me, holding a glass of iced coffee with a thin bamboo straw. We sat on a wooden deck overlooking the ocean, with colorful boho lanterns above us.

"Nakatulog ka ba ng maayos?" tanong niya, though I should be the one asking him that.

"Yep." I said. "Shane?"

"Hmm?" He asked, sipping his coffee.

I have to tell you something.

"Let's stroll around," ngiti ko. "I heard there's a lot of cool cafes in the area."

Napangiti siya as if already expecting my request. Shane, he always knows me well.

After taking a shower and changing out of my sleeping clothes, we walked around the area which was surprisingly a simple coastal town. We're literally on the side of the road and almost every establishment is beachfront and walking distance.

We visited local favorite food hubs and popular tourist cafes. I took a lot of pictures and clips with my camera, of the food, of Shane and me messing around, eating at the side of the road while walking, or in a beachfront cafe, talking to locals and tourist from Metro Manila who found escape in this place.

It was already late afternoon when we came back to the hostel with our tummy and hearts full. The sun was setting behind some clouds. Dumeretso ako sa kwarto para magbihis, but then suddenly I clenched my chest.

Hindi ako makahinga and the intense discomfort almost made me faint. Hinanap ko agad ang gamot sa mga gamit ko, flinging everything with trembling hands until I found the white bottle and took the tablets with a bottled water.

Hinintay ko ang sarili ko na kumalma bago lumabas. I pulled up a smile and saw Shane talking and laughing with some guests and other locals over drinks. His personality always radiates from him wherever he is, a sunshine, always genuine.

Kumaway siya nang makita ako and I smiled back. On the beachfront, they were setting up another party, a big bonfire party. On the deck, there were several girls, one of them our roommate, doing DYI braids and temporary hair colors.

"Gusto mong subukan?" tanong niya.

I suddenly remembered all the time I dyed my hair in my conservative school and how I stressed out my teachers and how I often had a scheduled visit at the guidance office, strutting the hallways with my colorful hair with all the fun and time in the world. For a moment, I want to color my hair again so I could come back to those days.

So I joined them and tried the color dark blue with faded ash gray highlights. They were impressed on how I know basic hair coloring technique. When we were done, I had this pretty night sky-ish hair color.

Hinanap ko si Shane, excited for him to see my hair. The party was starting and guests and people from other hostels were starting to pile up on the beach.

"Look at my hair!" I exclaimed when I saw him.

Shane faked a groan. "Ah, another horrible flashback of kick-ass Gabriel," iling niya.

Natawa ako. "I know right!"

Lumapit siya para hawakan ang buhok ko sa kanyang kamay and for a split-second my smile faded as I stare at him.

"The color suits you, the color of the sky."

The party started at eight in the evening, there were many tourist and people in the area. The bonfire was blazing, the night sky was clear, the waves were calm and everyone's getting drunk, laughing, dancing and having the best time.

Shane's getting drinks for the two of us, a beer for him and a non-alcoholic drink for me. I watch him blend with people, talking, laughing, face flushed with the heat from the fire. I didn't see much of this side of him, with other people and places other than beside me, and I'm afraid I won't be able to.

Naglakad ako palayo sa mga tao, to a darker side of the beach, where the noise faded and there's the dark ocean in front of me. And then I realized I was crying. My tears fell one after another, until I couldn't hold them any longer. I was crying, shoulders shaking, as I try to dry my tears with trembling hands.

"Gab?"

Dumating si Shane dala ang mga inumin namin. I tried to calm myself but I couldn't.

"Are you crying?"

"No."

He stepped closer. "Don't," sabi ko. Tumalikod ako before he could even see my face. "Don't... take any more steps. I'm okay."

"Gab..."

Please Shane, don't. I might tell you things I shouldn't, because I might leave you anytime.

Did you know why I rarely cry despite of everything, Shane? It's not that I'm strong or unafraid. It's because I didn't feel anything. All I feel was the emptiness that I tried to cover up. And then you were there, you and your stupid voice and silly face and your smiles. You made me feel alive, Shane. I fell in love with you the same way I fell in love with being alive.

My tears were blurring my vision when I heard Shane walking towards me, paper cups falling onto the sand.

"Gab, I'm going to cross a line I should have crossed a long time ago."

In the middle of my tears, I saw him in front of me, staring intently at my crying face, then I felt his hands on my cheeks and then his lips on mine.

***