Chapter 30: The Root of All Evil: Greed

Summary:

Summary:

“Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.”
-Erich Fromm

Notes:

Finally done with my Research Journal! But this formal writing made me hit a wall, so I wasn't able to update. Huhuhu!

Chapter Text

The three decided to talk inside a terraced house, not wanting to air their dirty laundry in case the twin brothers finally decided to kill each other. The house was part of the site but not included in the renovation project.

“What’s this?” Ye Xiu curiously asked as he sat down heavily on the couch, seemed almost bouncing. Reclining with legs crossed and arms propped above the back pillows, his eyes wandered around the spacious house.

“A living space, can’t you see it?!” Ye Qiu haughtily looked at his brother as he and Li Chunhua also sat down but in a more proper way.

He disapprovingly raised the side of his brow when the girl naturally sat beside his shameless brother, so close that he could confuse them with conjoined twins.

Never had he imagined that a time would come where he would be forced to eat dog food, and his childhood playmates would be the one to feed him. He knew that his brother likes Chunhua but this was still hard for him to look at. Them and their disgusting public display of affection!

What’s so good about being touchy with each other? That’s only increasing the possibility of passing viruses, no?

“Don’t worry, this isn’t for you!” He added distastefully, pulling the food bags beside him instead of putting it on the table where Ye Xiu and Li Chunhua could steal it back from him. Of course, with his status as a COO, these were nothing. But there’s still an unexplainable satisfaction in snatching something from his twin.

Ye Xiu just laughed at how silly his brother looked like. Unless you didn’t know, we bought that especially for you, “Then for who?”

“It’s for the guild.” Li Chunhua lifted her chin and answered for Ye Qiu. She was not new to the twins’ bantering, but it was still a pain in the ear, and sometimes you would want to stop it yourself, “Let’s talk business here, huh?”

“You’re saying that this house and all the construction outside were related to the club?” Ye Xiu calmly said. He didn’t seem excited at all, though there was a trace of surprise on his tone.

When Li Chunhua told him that their families had known what’s happening, he expected the worst. Like kidnapping, forcing him home, or locking him in a dungeon.

But seeing all these, he eventually understood what was their families' stand was.

“Obviously! What else could these be for?” Ye Qiu proudly said.